PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to test my Android app?

plb
August 14th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Do a market search for "extensive notes" Tell me what you think, features I should add, bugs, etc. App is mainly for learning my way around android SDK and java. Don't forget to leave me 5 stars:D

earthpigg
August 14th, 2010, 12:27 AM
how difficult was it to get your app in the official android marketplace?

plb
August 14th, 2010, 12:30 AM
You just pay $25 and you can upload whatever you like and it goes up right then when you hit publish. Nothing like Apple App Store where it has to get reviewed and you have to wait weeks

earthpigg
August 14th, 2010, 12:42 AM
oh, wow.

how easy would it have been for you to put malicious code in the app?

(consider this slightly off topic discussion to be easy bumps for your thread :P i don't have an android, or i would definitely take a look.)

plb
August 14th, 2010, 10:18 PM
No testers? :/

earthpigg
August 14th, 2010, 10:21 PM
ill test it in android-x86... think it'll run there?

can you upload the package to where i can download it without access to the official android marketplace?

murderslastcrow
August 14th, 2010, 10:23 PM
That's part of the problem- there's a lot of stuff out there that's no good that should really be reviewed. I wish they had a process more like the Ubuntu Software Center- "your code can get in, even if it's not that great, just so long as we've checked it for certain problems." There are some programs out there that don't seem all that... safe.

Anyway, the rating system is great. :D I usually trust that, since people wouldn't vote up spyware or apps with false promises.

But yeah, you're right- if you're willing to pay the money, it's not really that hard. But users should be careful, and the program says what it has access to and why before you confirm you'll install it, so there is some degree of assurance.

Yeah, I'll look it up and try it out. :D

murderslastcrow
August 14th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Lol, k, I always try not to add apps that have the power to send SMS. So I'm going to guess that's really just part of its functionality and convenience. WHERE'S THE SOURCE!? XD

No really, I want to see a centralized database, like sourceforge (I guess there's no reason you couldn't use sourceforge) for Android applications. You know, so we know what kind of Android applications to more openly support.

murderslastcrow
August 14th, 2010, 10:39 PM
K, after a few minutes of testing, I noticed some little issues. Some are more like feature requests than bugs, but one is a big, bad bug. XD I hope you don't mind me reporting it here. (I don't know what tools I'd use on my phone to produce output to help you find the solution, either- I'd like to help)

First of all, I'm fine with the add note being in the menu option. However, since it's such a common function, maybe you could place a simple + sign right to the right of the search bar? I think this would be a more appropriate place for it, while you could keep it in the menu for quick access. It just seems so common that it should be right up there.

Also, when I started typing a subject, note, and a new sentence in the note, my capitalization wasn't automatically on for the beginning of each new sentence. This is expected behavior in most other applications with text-entry, so it would be cool to have here, too, instead of having to push the caps button every time.

Also, here's the big one- when I tried to attach an image (a very large one, by the way, that might have something to do with it) to the note, the program crashed (lol). And every time I go back to open that note, it crashes, so I'm guessing it can't attach or view the image correctly, but it's been saved to the note already, so it won't.. get better. Also, there's no function to delete a note unless you're inside the note, which prevents me from trying again. Lol, I don't mean to overcriticize your work or embarrass you, of course- it's not that simple to program that stuff, especially for a phone.

Now, what I liked- the layout is very clean. I like how the date shows up next to the notes, very straightforward and elegant. I also like the way you set up the fields. This application is nice, because it's simple and straightforward (therefore easy to work with), yet you're adding support for very interesting things through the SDK and pluggable bits of the platform. So it becomes something simple and straightforward, yet it's also powerful enough to do some more interesting collaboration. I really like the idea.

However, since it crashed on me, although I was doing something pretty iffy, I'm gonna' give it a four stars for now. If you want any more information, I have the time to fiddle around a bit more. I'm also going to send an error report through the phone as well. XD So yeah, altogether good job, I'm interested to see its improvements over the coming weeks.

Kdar
August 14th, 2010, 10:46 PM
I don't have the phone, but trying to learn Android SDK as well. Is it your first app?

plb
October 30th, 2010, 01:17 AM
I don't have the phone, but trying to learn Android SDK as well. Is it your first app?

Nah, A tip calculator was my first. :P If you click view more of my apps you'll see it. It's definitely nothing special though lol

pwnst*r
October 30th, 2010, 02:19 PM
This isn't exactly the best place to get testers. Post on the XDA forums if you want real beta testing.