PDA

View Full Version : HTC Evo or Samsung Galaxy S?

PuddingKnife
August 13th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I have decided to get one of these. Help me choose, Cafe!

This

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/HTC-EVO-b-300x5041-e1272399605533.jpg

or this

http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/07/19/samsung_galaxy_s_2.jpg

cj13579
August 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I have a HTC Desire and it is incredible. But I have heard many good things about the Samsung aswell. Nah, I'm sticking with HTC.

+1 HTC

era86
August 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Brother has Samsung Captivate and GF has the Vibrant. Battery life sucks on both of them, but they are really snappy and light.

Johnsie
August 13th, 2010, 11:25 PM
I've had 2 top of the range Samsung phones in the past. My experience has been that they look realy nice at first glance, but then when you actually start using them they are terrible. My Samsung Omnia was terribly slow, the camera was no good and the battery life was terrible. I also had a Samsung U600 when that was top of the range. It also looked really good, but day to day use was terrible. It was too easy to click the wrong things and once again the camera was really bad. Bottom line is that Samsung phones look nice but usually have alot of usability issues.

My experience with HTC has been much better. I have the HTC Desire and I love it. The only thing that could make it better is a hardware keyboard. After trying HTC I will never go back to Samsung.

I'd go for the EVO. HTC are really innovating when it comes to phone technology.

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM
I have the EVO, and these phones have very similar hardware. Both seem to have gotten the latest Froyo update this month. The Sense interface, which is quite nice, is default on the EVO, and I don't know how much, if any, amount of hacking will get it for you on the Galaxy S.

However, Android 3.0 in October will supposedly provide a better UI and make these customizations 'unnecessary'. Both of these phones will be able to run 3.0, but there has been no official announcement that either will certainly get it from the network providers.

The plan from Sprint seems to be a couple dollars cheaper, as well.

The Samsung Galaxy S does, however, have the benefit of the Swype input as default (lets you just drag your finger around the board, rather than lift and type a new letter, and it guesses at what you wanted to type).

Also, I've heard that the display on the Galaxy S may be brighter, but I haven't noticed a significant difference.

So basically, these are the same phones, but one has the Sense UI and the other has Swype. Of course, T-Mobile and Sprint specific apps are available on each.

Oh, and there's the fact that the EVO requires a 4G plan, which does make a pretty big difference if it's supported in your area. It makes watching YouTube in High Quality on the go stupidly simple.

Both have Flash with Froyo, so really, it's up to what features are most important to you. A more slick UI than in vanilla Android and 4G, or Swype and T-Mobile specific features.

I also believe both can be set up as wireless hotspots at an additional cost, while I can confirm it works quite well with the EVO. Hopefully a Galaxy S user can come in and make some more distinctions I may have missed?

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Also, the EVO is really fast even while running tons of applications, but you need to keep in mind that you should monitor what services and networks are enabled. If you have them all on all the time, expect your battery life to be about four or five hours of continual use.

Of course, as I don't expect you'll be holding your phone THE WHOLE DAY, and might turn WiFi, Bluetooth, 4G, and GPS off while the phone is silently waiting for calls in your pocket, this probably won't be a big deal.

With fairly constant use, and disabling unnecessary services, I got it to run a day and a half on one charge- that includes a good two hour run with high quality Pandora playback.

There are replacement batteries with more energy, but many of them aren't a huge improvement- gotta' find the right one.

Johnsie
August 13th, 2010, 11:50 PM
If you're concerened about battery life on touch screen phones then this is worth checking out:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Veho-VCC-A007-PBP-5000mAH-Portable-Battery/dp/B003F5WEMO/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i

Read the reviews.

KdotJ
August 13th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Taling of battery life, my iphone 4 only lasts around 2 days with "normal" usage. But then you have to think what these phones do nowadays... they're not phones anymore lol

PuddingKnife
August 14th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Ive heard that the performance is a lot faster for the Galaxy. I saw a youtube video in which the HTC Desire and the Galaxy are demoing Quake 2. Its a lot smoother on the Galaxy. Is the Hummingbird processor that much faster than the Snapdragon?

Im leaning toward the Galaxy S.. it has the added bonus of a physical keyboard.

demosthenese
August 14th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I will never buy another Samsung product again.

Bought the original Galaxy. Audio failed. Phone returned from repair with no signal available. Replaced again. Occasionally locks up completely, requiring the battery to be removed and reinserted to reboot. So calls can be missed because the phone is off but I believe it to be on. Battery life is crap - barely lasts a working day - unless of course its done its quiet lock up trick.

Promised future OS updates when released and then nothing.

3rdalbum
August 14th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Why does HTC have so many Android phones? There's the Legend, Desire, Nexus One, Evo, Incredible and Wildfire, that I can name. There's another more basic one that I can't think of at the moment as well.

TheNerdAL
August 14th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Brother has Samsung Captivate and GF has the Vibrant. Battery life sucks on both of them, but they are really snappy and light.

They are both the same phones but branded differently and have different things preinstalled.

oobuntoo
August 14th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm waiting for reviews of Samsung Epic 4G (Sprint's version of Samsung Galaxy S). This phone is set to be released on Aug 31.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_epic_4g-3410.php

murderslastcrow
August 14th, 2010, 06:36 AM
If a physical keyboard is important to you, despite the huge screen, then I would go with the Galaxy. However, the Sense UI is quite nice, despite its supposed near death with Android 3.

TonyChaos
September 30th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I have decided to get one of these. Help me choose, Cafe!

This

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/HTC-EVO-b-300x5041-e1272399605533.jpg

or this

http://regmedia.co.uk/2010/07/19/samsung_galaxy_s_2.jpg

Having lived in Buckhannon, WV and using my Evo, I must say that it was amazing. Sprint has good service in those two areas. As far as the phone goes, I couldn't be happier with it. It's fast, light, snappy, and the battery life isn't too shabby!

I say go EVO, man.

ukripper
September 30th, 2010, 08:41 AM
So far i have got HTC hero and quite happy with it running Rooted VillainROM1.5(based on 2.2) overclocked kernel to 768Mhz.

There is no release for Evo in europe, so on that basis no comparison with Samsung S i can make.

Johnsie
September 30th, 2010, 10:08 AM
In Europe the HTC Desire Z is the one I would go for. I already have the normal Desire and it's great. The Z is the same spec, just with a hardware keyboard.

I've had a few samsung phones (the u600 and they omnia). They looked good, but the software quality was not good and the cameras were unreliable. After those experiences it would be difficult for me to risk going back to Samsung.

PuddingKnife
September 30th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Wow, I forgot about this thread! :) :)

Tony Chaos, a fellow mountain stater! Nice. Glad you like your Evo, but I ended up going with the Galaxy S (Epic 4g) and I am in love. Its the greatest phone I've ever seen and I have no complaints.

pwnst*r
September 30th, 2010, 02:01 PM
The Evo and the Galaxy S aren't the same phones - so whoever said that, stop.

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you're a gamer, forget it, go with the Galaxy S which has a much superior GPU. Also, if you rather have a hardware k/b, then your choice has been made for you. The Android virtual k/b compared to the iPhone is not very good, even though you have multiple choices.

Don't get me started on Swype. I used it for a month, but the satisfaction of actually typing, trumps the neato-ness of Swype. Even if you do like Swype (yes, it comes default on the Galaxy S) but that doesn't make it a better choice since you can use it on the Evo as well - it just doesn't come as default.

The Galaxy S's display is marginally better, but let your eyes decide that.

This being said, I really like my Evo, but none of these phones are without their caveats. Like someone mentioned before, battery life on all of the current Android smart phones are not good, and I REALLY do not recommend task killers. Do your research on that one.

One thing people tend to forget about battery life with an Android phone and an iPhone is that Android supports widgets, which are constantly pulling data, so expect to get worse battery life from an Android device on average.

fatality_uk
September 30th, 2010, 02:10 PM
The Android virtual k/b compared to the iPhone is not very good, even though you have multiple choices.

For you maybe!!! Having used both and knowing a lot of people who have also used both, the Android keyboard is far better imo than iPhone.

pwnst*r
September 30th, 2010, 02:15 PM
For you maybe!!! Having used both and knowing a lot of people who have also used both, the Android keyboard is far better imo than iPhone.

For you maybe!+2

fatality_uk
September 30th, 2010, 02:47 PM
For you maybe!+2

Your statement came across as fact, not opinion.

pwnst*r
September 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Your statement came across as fact, not opinion.

Since I'm the one posting it and included no sources, you can assume it's opinion. That's pretty normal on the internet, especially in forums. Surely, you knew that.

Seņor Banana
September 30th, 2010, 05:34 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37642466/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/
Save your money.

pwnst*r
September 30th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Even worse battery life - can't wait!

PuddingKnife
September 30th, 2010, 06:16 PM
I think I'll be happy with the Galaxy S for a while :)