PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I make claws-mail behave more like thunderbird?

eigenman
August 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hi,

so I recently decided to switch back to a stand alone email client from gmail. I started with thunderbird, which had a very intuitive user interface and was working fairly well, except for the fact that when it wasn't supposed to be doing anything, it was taking up about 40% of my CPU (this is after it had downloaded all the emails, so there really wasn't anything that needed that much cpu usage from my perspective). After investigating that a bit, I decided I'm going to go for something lighter, and now I'm trying to claws-mail.

This one is fast and quick, with very little bells and whistle, and I think it has the potential of keeping me happy. However, there are few things that I can't figure out how to do. The two main ones right now are:

How do I make it download all the emails in at least the inbox folder? I'm using imap protocol with gmail, and I'm happy that the two mailboxes are very well synced, however the only thing it is downloaded by default is the email header, and not the content. I would like to be able to download the content immediately, so I can read the email offline as well.

How can I set up GPG to sign my emails automatically? In claws-mail to sign my emails, I need to go to the Options->Privacy Options->PGP Mime, followed by Options->Sign. Is it possible to make this the default option?

Best,
Eigenman

eigenman
August 25th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Well the second part turned out to be pretty easy: In Configurations->Preferences there is a plugins section, and there you can set pgp to sign your emails automatically.

Also, I think I've played around with some more settings, and I think emails that are newer than 30 days old are actually downloaded completely, I'm not sure though. Certainly the synchronize option allows me to download some of the more recent emails onto my laptop. I'm still trying to figure out how to make full backups of emails, but I guess the correct solution to that is to use pop3 protocol once in a while to download everything.

Anyways... I am now wondering why is switching between different folders takes so long, and if there is a way of speeding it up. For that matter, going to the next email is not as snappy as I imagine it can be. I feel like this is due to some of my settings, but I'm not sure what could be the cause of it. If anybody has any ideas, I really like to hear them.

Thanks,
Eigenman