PDA

View Full Version : Any electronic/Industrial musicians or singers here?

Nick_Jinn
August 13th, 2010, 05:17 PM
Just curious. Who else here is a musician? Want style music do you play?

Also, what tools do you use as far as on your computer?

pelle.k
August 13th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I've made some tracks over the years. Mostly ambient stuff. I cant sing myself, and i don't know any singers really. Also, I don't do live music, even if i can play a litle bit piano. LOL

My software of choicce would be FL Studio in windows, but i haven't been active for a while now, so i'm thinking i should try out garageband on a mac as my next project. Got some nice VST's that will plug in nicely there as well, but unfortunately the famous "sytrus" synth of FL wont be compatible with a mac though. I'm thinking i will replace that with "Native Instruments FM8" instead.
Never like the linux alternatives, such as LMMS. Cockos Reaper is allright under wine though, but then, so is FL Studio if you've got the right version of both wine and FL Studio set up.

TNT1
August 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I used to do vocals for an industrial band in my hometown back in the 90's...

Nick_Jinn
August 13th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I have the black editions of XP and 7 if I need them, though I would prefer native linux tools.

I am a guitar player and drummer. I dont play traditional drug sets, I started in Djimbe and bucket drums and started working with improvised percussion instruments made from scrap metal. I also have a drum pad that I would like to learn how to use Midi with....the native sounds are so-so, but if you can program the sounds easily it could sound wicked cool.

I am decent on electric and acoustic guitar. Not awesome like I used to be, but I can lay down some industrial rhythm guitar. My girlfriend plays the autoharp and electric violin.

It would be cool to find a base player, a synth player and a vocalist.

I also like ambient and other electronic music.....dark-psy, infected mushroom, boards of Canada....my tastes are wide.

Frogs Hair
August 13th, 2010, 07:50 PM
I play guitar , mainly an eclectic mix of old and new rock . I also enjoy blues and jazz fusion , but I am not currently with a band. I have used Cake Walk guitar studio and am thinking about installing Ardour from the repository.

Nick_Jinn
August 14th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I used to do vocals for an industrial band in my hometown back in the 90's...

Yeah? Do you have any samples of your work? I am thinking about getting back into it, maybe working on some collaboration projects.

I need to learn how to use some mixing tools though.

XubuRoxMySox
August 14th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I wish I could play! I love electronic/industrial stuff and have choreographed some dance routines to it.

Sounds like some of you belong in the new Ubuntu social group! Clicky on my sig to see it.

-Robin

theraje
August 15th, 2010, 02:59 AM
I don't really "play" music (though I can play the piano, ever so slightly :P) so much as "produce" it. I know a lot of music theory (I'm not really an expert, but I know enough to get me by comfortably) and compose music via software.

I don't do a lot of electronica or industrial though... mainly I make music for use in games and such. This is usually rock, pop, and sometimes mellow ambient-style music.

EnergyXT is what I was using for a while, but some of the VSTs I rely upon don't work with it on Windows 7 (64-bit), and it doesn't work at all in Ubuntu 10.04. I've tried a lot of the music apps that ship with Ubuntu Studio, but haven't found anything that I really like. I'm considering switching to Propellerhead Reason and sticking with Windows for music production.

Nick_Jinn
August 15th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Thank you for the great product reviews.

Let me know if you ever need music for an edgier game. My brother is also an awesome guitar player and can play any style.

I also do some very unique percussion with improvised instruments.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I have the black editions of XP and 7 if I need them, though I would prefer native linux tools.

I am a guitar player and drummer. I dont play traditional drug sets, I started in Djimbe and bucket drums and started working with improvised percussion instruments made from scrap metal. I also have a drum pad that I would like to learn how to use Midi with....the native sounds are so-so, but if you can program the sounds easily it could sound wicked cool.

I am decent on electric and acoustic guitar. Not awesome like I used to be, but I can lay down some industrial rhythm guitar. My girlfriend plays the autoharp and electric violin.

It would be cool to find a base player, a synth player and a vocalist.

I also like ambient and other electronic music.....dark-psy, infected mushroom, boards of Canada....my tastes are wide.
You could make you're own drum, with an Arduino and ttymidi.

Nick_Jinn
August 15th, 2010, 07:45 AM
I am going to have to check that out.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I'm thinking of doing a keyboard with my Arduino mega, but I may be lazu to get around to it/don't have keys to connect(maybe tinfoil?)
Also, my favorite Synth is ZynAddSubFX, but I don't do anything but randomly push buttons with it. I'm not any good at it.

diablo75
August 16th, 2010, 07:53 AM
I'm a bit of a "programmer" who is kind of decent with keyboard and prefer to use Propellerhead Reason to create music. I recently joined a website called Kompoz and have a few active projects going you can join in on if you'd like or just sit back and listen to progress being made. My profile is here:

http://www.kompoz.com/compose-collaborate/profile.member?memberId=18073

Zoot7
August 16th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I do all my music production with Cubase.

Nick_Jinn
August 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Does Reason 4 work in Wine?

What does Cubase do?

Exershio
August 16th, 2010, 10:17 PM
Cubase is another DAW just like the rest of them. My DAW of choice is REAPER. It does most things Cubase can do, only difference is it's much cheaper and it's less invasive with DRM.

I use the Komplete 5 package along with EWQL Symphonic Orchestra.

And when I'm in a metal mood, Drumkit From Hell is a great set ;)

bug67
August 16th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Not an "electronic/Industrial musician" but I am a musician/singer none the less. Well, that's using the term very loosly! :p

Everything I do is done on a Mac so far using GarageBand, Digital Performer and Logic. I have been dabling in Cubase (Sequel 2) on my Win7 box but don't like it very much. I seriously would like to ditch it all and go pure Linux. Haven't got there yet. What was it Garth said in Wayne's World? "We fear change."

Samples can be had by following the link to my web site in my signature.

EDIT:

I also have a page over at MacJams (http://www.macjams.com/artist/bug67). While, not specifically a "Mac" site, Mac based music production seems to be the majority. Sure would be nice to see a few more from the Linux camp over there. :)

Onyros
August 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
I've been the lead singer/programmer for a very-loosely-catalogued-industrial project named Skin.Veil for a few years now.

I try to mix things up a bit, with melodic voice, (live) guitar, drum n' bass beats, live sampled drums or just synth backdrops on top of more synth and some chaos to round it up.

It's pretty bad, but I have fun, and that's what matters.

http://www.myspace.com/skinveil

Just a few excerpts, incomplete versions, and a warmup caught on studio available there. The rest I keep to myself ;)

Nick_Jinn
August 17th, 2010, 12:11 AM
Awesome. Too bad you are not on facbook. I hardly use Myspace anymore.

Its too bad Tribe.net is now defunct/dead practically. That was a great little social networking site. Maybe it will revive but Im not holding my breath.

But yeah, I am looking to learn some new mixing tools and maybe get involved in a project.

Nick_Jinn
August 17th, 2010, 12:38 AM
http://www.myspace.com/skinveil

Just a few excerpts, incomplete versions, and a warmup caught on studio available there. The rest I keep to myself ;)

For a minute there I thought I was listening to Tool.

Next tack has some pretty awesome Industrial Drum and Base.

Do you have a full Demo CD?

Onyros
August 17th, 2010, 12:53 AM
For a minute there I thought I was listening to Tool.

Next tack has some pretty awesome Industrial Drum and Base.

Do you have a full Demo CD?I have full songs, like that Deep Insert instrumental, but with voice; also have Paradox Angel on that playlist with guitar and voice(s). My favourite is MLW (Making Love Within), with a much better voice recording than that bit (out of rhythm, out of tune there). Have a few other songs, but I started sampling voice (like in Björk's Medúlla) to create layers of sound, instead of using synth.

But I never "released" anything close to a demo with that project. It's just a little buggy pet. ;)

Oh, btw... I don't use MySpace much, too. Back then it was what other bands used, so I followed. I hadn't been there for ages :P

Zoot7
August 17th, 2010, 01:24 AM
BTW forgot to mention, the stuff I've recorded can be found on my youtube channel (link in sig). It wouldn't be industrial/electronic but more along the lines of rock/metal.

It's pretty bad, but I have fun, and that's what matters.

Indeed it is! ;)

Nick_Jinn
August 17th, 2010, 01:34 AM
Your not bad either. Its like of like Pink Flyoid meets Iron Maiden layered over some folk techno.

Zoot7
August 17th, 2010, 01:45 AM
Your not bad either. Its like of like Pink Flyoid meets Iron Maiden layered over some folk techno.
Haha, I wouldn't have thought of it like that. ;)

XubuRoxMySox
August 17th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Awesome. Too bad you are not on facbook. I hardly use Myspace anymore.

Its too bad Tribe.net is now defunct/dead practically. That was a great little social networking site.

Shameless plug - since you asked ;) - for my little mini social network right here on UF! Clicky on my signature!

-Robin