PDA

View Full Version : Where do geeky girls come from xD

Zorgoth
August 13th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Just wondering. The internet proves that they clearly exist, but in real life they seem very hard to find! Particularly when I am not at uni. And even there, the nerdiest girl I've met is a Mac user :o (although in other respects eminently qualified, and no offense intended)

Maybe it would help to occasionally leave my house for something other than work.

Or maybe I should post in the personals:

Man seeking woman, 19-22, GPL/BSD, communicates in C/C++, likes compiz

XubuRoxMySox
August 13th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Sometimes geeky girls are made rather than born. My friend Amy (a dancer, a cheerleader, a band girl - self-described as "non-geeky") was definitely non-geeky until she got so frustrated with Vista that she asked how I kept the ancient old hand-me-down 'puter at the dance studio running so fast! She borrowed my laptop for a bit and loved it's super-sweet simplicity and speed. About 2 months later she was helping other Linux newbies! Read her story: How Amy became a geek (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html)!

-Robin

earthpigg
August 13th, 2010, 05:04 PM

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/bos/533096562.html

ve4cib
August 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Geeky girls come from the same place as any other girl. Or any guy for that matter. You see, when a man and a woman love each other very much... :p

Just wondering. The internet proves that they clearly exist, but in real life they seem very hard to find! Particularly when I am not at uni. And even there, the nerdiest girl I've met is a Mac user :o (although in other respects eminently qualified, and no offense intended)

Maybe it would help to occasionally leave my house for something other than work.

Geeks (of either sex) in general tend to be somewhat introverted, and thus naturally harder to find in a crowd. Depending on the size of your university there may be student groups that hold events where you can meet like-minded people. Since you're obviously into programming try poking your head into computer science or engineering student lounges.

(My university's lounges pretty much all had open-door policies where anyone could walk in, sit down, and talk with whoever else happened to be there. I don't imagine this is unique to my university.)

As you said though, leaving the house once in a while is a good way to meet people. Living your life online, while nicely distracting, doesn't lend itself to meeting people in the real-world very easily. Turn off the computer, open the front door, and get outside. Who knows who you'll meet!

xtek0
August 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
I love my fiance she can be a geek at some points. shes awesome!

ticopelp
August 13th, 2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe they're hiding from all the labeling...

But seriously, most of the "geeky" girls I know are just like anyone else, and would roll their eyes at the notion that they're as rare as the basilisk or the product of some strange alchemy.

Åtta
August 13th, 2010, 05:51 PM
most of the "geeky" girls I know are just like anyone else, and would roll their eyes at the notion that they're [...] the product of some strange alchemy.

Wait, what? They aren't? That's how I turned my girlfriend into a geek. I just mixed equal parts iTunes and a slow computer running XP. Then added a hint of Ubuntu, and presto! 1-1½ years later, she's a geek! ;)

chriswyatt
August 13th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Go to a library or a book shop, I was in a book shop yesterday and saw the geekiest-looking girls I've ever seen in my life, they were both spotty and skinny and spoke in a shaky nervous fashion, obvious university geeks! Also they were talking about quantum theory.

They are out there, you've just got to go to the right places.

TheNerdAL
August 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Sometimes geeky girls are made rather than born.

Aha! So Carlee is a robot! I knew it! :P

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 06:06 PM

Or maybe I should post in the personals:

Yes, leave the house and get some kind of life going. Even if you find someone in the personals, they're not going to be interested in someone who has no life. Just remember, for every geeky girl there are 98273438743 geeky guys so you have to stand out in some manner.

Zorgoth
August 13th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I was actually joking about the personals :lolflag:

At 21 I don't think I'm that desperate yet.

Oh, and actually my experience is for every geeky girl there are about 4 or 5 geeky guys, but this ratio increases dramatically as your threshold for "geek" increases.

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Sometimes geeky girls are made rather than born. My friend Amy (a dancer, a cheerleader, a band girl - self-described as "non-geeky") was definitely non-geeky until she got so frustrated with Vista that she asked how I kept the ancient old hand-me-down 'puter at the dance studio running so fast! She borrowed my laptop for a bit and loved it's super-sweet simplicity and speed. About 2 months later she was helping other Linux newbies! Read her story: How Amy became a geek (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html)!

-Robin

Yes! I dated a local model last year. I thought she was a bit ditzy at first but actually she turned out to be really smart and a great researcher. I installed Linux Mint on her netbook and she spent the next three weeks ordering books and obsessively learning about Ubuntu and Linux more generally. It was really funny.

Too bad she was insanely jealous.

mendhak
August 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
What do you mean, the actual definition of geeky or the label 'geeky' that everyone and their uncle seem to be applying to themselves for accomplishing anything that a simian with average intelligence could do? ("OMG, I just installed itunes on my mac i am such a geek lol! xoxoxo)

If it's the latter, you'll find plenty of them on facebook.
If it's the former, you'll find them in the same places you go to. Which - if you're a geek -isn't a lot of places. Which probably means they're at home. Reading this post. Right now. Hello there. How you doin'? ;)

chriswyatt
August 13th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Hot, geeky girls are more of a rarity, but you can get them. In terms of just geek population I reckon there are probably more hot geeky girls than hot geeky blokes. I'm guessing this just from watching University Challenge, more often the blokes look stereotypically geeky.

Also, people are talking about 'geek' here more like my own interpretation of 'nerd'.

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
I was actually joking about the personals :lolflag:

At 21 I don't think I'm that desperate yet.

Oh, and actually my experience is for every geeky girl there are about 4 or 5 geeky guys, but this ratio increases dramatically as your threshold for "geek" increases.

No shame in scoping out the personals. Think of it as a way of tapping into extra possible social connections that you would otherwise have no access to.

TheNerdAL
August 13th, 2010, 06:13 PM
What do you mean, the actual definition of geeky or the label 'geeky' that everyone and their uncle seem to be applying to themselves for accomplishing anything that a simian with average intelligence could do? ("OMG, I just installed itunes on my mac i am such a geek lol! xoxoxo)

If it's the latter, you'll find plenty of them on facebook.
If it's the former, you'll find them in the same places you go to. Which - if you're a geek -isn't a lot of places. Which probably means they're at home. Reading this post. Right now. Hello there. How you doin'? ;)

I lawled. :P

TriBlox6432
August 13th, 2010, 06:14 PM
There should be a "geek" dating site online where all the personals are in binary. :D

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Which probably means they're at home. Reading this post. Right now. Hello there. How you doin'? ;)

True.

TheNerdAL
August 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
PM me laydeez. ;)
:lolflag:

Zorgoth
August 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Hot, geeky girls are more of a rarity, but you can get them. In terms of just geek population I reckon there are probably more hot geeky girls than hot geeky blokes. I'm guessing this just from watching University Challenge, more often the blokes look stereotypically geeky.

Also, people are talking about 'geek' here more like my own interpretation of 'nerd'.

Geek and nerd are largely interchangeable imo. Anyway my experience with my fellow math students is that pretty female math students are fairly common, but do not usually date other math students (and these are Cambridge math students, so you can't try to claim they aren't geeks just because they're studying math)...

EDIT: One reconsideration, I think there is something of a difference between geek and nerd. I think that geek is kind of nerd + computer. A nerd in theory could hate computers (and that *does* happen).

TriBlox6432
August 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
This (http://xkcd.com/747/).

chriswyatt
August 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
OK, I probably need to check the definitions then. I've always thought of it as:

Geek - Someone with high intelligence, very studious, often lacking in social skills.
Nerd - Someone who is a computer geek.

It's definitely not black and white anyway, there is a geek/nerd spectrum :P

JDShu
August 13th, 2010, 06:30 PM
This (http://xkcd.com/747/).

Indeed.

ve4cib
August 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I've always looked at the nerd/geek thing like this (http://web.vee.net/stuff/geek-vs-nerd.html).

Though this (http://xkcd.com/747/) is also a very good, and almost universally-acceptable way of looking at the distinction (or lack thereof).

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 07:23 PM
It's the same as modern geeky men. They don't necessarily appear to be geeks, and may not even call themselves geeks- they just found this thing called Ubuntu and really liked it, because it looks cool and works well, and it's FAST! Woooo.

Seriously, I know plenty of these women. These days it's much more easy to get into Linux, or otherwise geeky things, since technology has grown to incorporate into the lives of noobs.

ikt
August 13th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Where do they come from?

What do they look like?

Do we know anything about them?

Do they hunt in packs?

How do we know if we see one?

:o

gcndavidmn
August 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM
I think you could describe my girlfriend as a nerd/geek as she is very smart, she was the one to make me give Ubuntu a second chance and we can have entire conversations consisting of quotes from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I think I have won the game that is life.

ssam
August 13th, 2010, 10:43 PM

is that in hex or decimal. you should probably be more specific.

gcndavidmn
August 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
is that in hex or decimal. you should probably be more specific.

If he is using hex then he comes off a tad desperate :P

NMFTM
August 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
As the number of people who use computers increases, the standard by which people are considered to be proficient in computers decreases.

About 25 or so years ago, owning a computer meant being able to program, doing almost everything on a command line (assuming your computer even had a GUI, which most didn't), editing configuration files with a text editor, manually choosing what hardware you were running and how the software would interact with it when installing an application for the first time (I have a DOS game from 1997 that requires you to do this) because it didn't autoconfig based on what you were running, etc.

Today, the fact that I know how to pipe the output of one command into the input of another command (ps -e | grep "npviewer.bin") to scan for a certain process that I think is causing my computer to run slowly. Then take that process's PID and kill it with another command. Is considered by most people to be a sign of computer nerdiness. That would be considered an extremely basic skill to even an average computer user 25 years ago. In fact, the fact that I even use a command line at all would probably put me in the range of an above average computer user in today's terms.

Just like when cars were a new thing the only people who bought them were probably 1) people who were rich enough to pay other people to take care of them for them or 2) people who were very mechanically inclined and enjoyed tinkering with them when they broke (which was probably pretty often). Most people probably didn't see the need for a car because their horse and buggy worked just fine. As cars became more stable and reliable the benefits of owning one became more apparent and the technology of owning one advanced to the point to where a non-mechanically inclined person could easily operate one and simply get it fixed when it broke down. Today, you can easily own and operate a car without even knowing how to change the oil, much less crawl under the car and change the oil filter.

gcndavidmn
August 13th, 2010, 11:00 PM
As the number of people who use computers increases, the standard by which people are considered to be proficient in computers decreases.

About 25 or so years ago, owning a computer meant being able to program, doing almost everything on a command line (assuming your computer even had a GUI, which most didn't), editing configuration files with a text editor, manually choosing what hardware you were running and how the software would interact with it when installing an application for the first time (I have a DOS game from 1997 that requires you to do this) because it didn't autoconfig based on what you were running, etc.

Today, the fact that I know how to pipe the output of one command into the input of another command (ps -e | grep "npviewer.bin") to scan for a certain process that I think is causing my computer to run slowly. Then take that process's PID and kill it with another command. Is considered by most people to be a sign of computer nerdiness. That would be considered an extremely basic skill to even an average computer user 25 years ago. In fact, the fact that I even use a command line at all would probably put me in the range of an above average computer user in today's terms.

Just like when cars were a new thing the only people who bought them were probably 1) people who were rich enough to pay other people to take care of them for them or 2) people who were very mechanically inclined and enjoyed tinkering with them when they broke (which was probably pretty often). Most people probably didn't see the need for a car because their horse and buggy worked just fine. As cars became more stable and reliable the benefits of owning one became more apparent and the technology of owning one advanced to the point to where a non-mechanically inclined person could easily operate one and simply get it fixed when it broke down. Today, you can easily own and operate a car without even knowing how to change the oil, much less crawl under the car and change the oil filter.

I had never thought of it like that. That is a very very good observation. I suppose I didn't notice it because I wasn't around 25 years ago :P I get called a nerd for just starting to learn how to program or even using Linux.

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 11:45 PM
You're a geek if you use a media player other than an iPod, so long as it's not a phone. The only way to use Linux and not seem like a huge geek is an Android mobile.

Just from using GIMP for my professional work, designers look at me like I must have an outrageously hard time doing so. It's so natural, I don't take a second thought- three windows isn't as counter-intuitive as you'd think, and it allows me to maximize the middle window and select tools with hot-keys rather than having to click around like a crazy person. It's a very good tool.

Inkscape, too, is very efficient and the interface isn't really that hard. But just the fact that it's not 'what everyone else uses', I'm a geek. As soon as people encounter something unfamiliar in regards to technology, even a Mac, they will call its user geeky.

So basically, if a girl steps out of the realm of Firefox (thankfully common enough to not be geeky these days), iTunes, Windows Media Player, or Windows, she is automatically a huge geek to her friends. Even if she's just using Google Chrome, Winamp, and Openoffice, and applying a Visual Style to XP or something. Her friends will call her a geek, because it's not what they're used to.

Of course, this begs the question- if the definition is anything just above the bare minimum for familiarity with mainstream applications, isn't it a good thing to be at least a little geeky? To explore your choices?

I know many geeky girls who just didn't know it. Many of them use Ubuntu now because it's basically the next step in their addiction to open source on Windows. For many people, it just clicks when they finally discover it.

Ironic how many people can avidly use open source applications and never hear of Linux, isn't it?

Superkoop
August 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM
Why exactly are you restricting yourself to a geek? I am to an extent a geek, not a huge geek, but I am one. I am not single, and I am not dating a geek, I dating a regular woman... though to me she's not so regular...
Rather than searching out for a geeky girl, I strongly recommend you find someone who meshes with you not based on your interests. If you restrict yourself to someone who is just like you, what fun will there be in learning about new things... of which there are none because you and her are so similar. Look for someone who fits with you in all ways, not just your computer interests.
If you have issues with being outgoing, or being romantic and sensitive, but you still want a relationship, you need to change something. Either become more outgoing (just enough that you enable yourself to find someone), romantic, and sensitive; or forget the relationship. It's going to take work, don't just think it will come to you. The End

BTW;
Geek: Someone who is of relative smartness in things that actually matter. (i.e. computer science)
Nerd: Someone who is of relative smartness in things that don't matter. (i.e. Marvel comics)
Dork: Someone who lives with their parents past the age of 25, dresses out of style, and has very poor social skills. (Could include nerds or geeks, assuming they follow the above.)
Thus spake Superkoop.

chill32
August 14th, 2010, 12:29 AM
so uhm ur trying to hook up on a ubuntu forum?

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 14th, 2010, 12:34 AM
I know a few geek women. They avoid geek men. Geek men tend to think of themselves as intellectually superior. That attitude just makes the women angry. Geek men, bragging about their computer skills, then belittling the woman's skills without even observing what the women actually knows. The geek versus geek showing off mentality just doesn't work with women.
:)

TriBlox6432
August 14th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Geek: Someone who is of relative smartness in things that actually matter. (i.e. computer science)
Nerd: Someone who is of relative smartness in things that don't matter. (i.e. Marvel comics)
Dork: Someone who lives with their parents past the age of 25, dresses out of style, and has very poor social skills. (Could include nerds or geeks, assuming they follow the above.)
Thus spake Superkoop.

This.

Zzl1xndd
August 14th, 2010, 03:07 AM
Like most It would depend on your definition of Geek.

My and I Fiancée meet at a friends place one weekend. We had all been getting together to play Magic: The Gathering and D&D (2nd ED).

As Stated in my signature I am an MCSE my Fiancée has her A+ and Network+ and is working on here MCITP: Sever Administrator (and hopes to get Apple ACTC at some Point).

We play Munchkin, StarTrek Seen it, have a rather elaborate home network we set up together. She Built my latest Desktop.

But I guess my point is we met in a place where geeks would be. I think the problem as someone else already pointed out is that most male geeks are off putting, Annoying or intimidating and it makes them not want to be around us.

But if your ever in my home town you can find a lot of Geeky Women at the local Geek store.

http://www.thegeekchic.ca/shop/

Little Bones
August 14th, 2010, 03:23 AM
My girlfriend used Ubuntu until some monitor problems destroyed her old laptop (she loved the Mac look, so I replicated it for her). She's using Win7 and still complains about sluggishness and always tells me to shut up before I say anything, because she knows Linux is better. She just doesn't have Ubuntu yet because I haven't had the time to install it. :P

marshmallow1304
August 14th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Read her story: How Amy became a geek (http://www.linuxforums.org/articles/non-geeky-girls-love-linux-too-_368.html)!

-Robin

You don't have to be a gorgeous hunk of sweet awesomeness like the beautiful boy who brought me to Linux (but it helps!).

Looks like you got a better review than Ubuntu did. :D

Zorgoth
August 14th, 2010, 05:07 AM
so uhm ur trying to hook up on a ubuntu forum?

No. Just philosophizing and generating threads to waste time in while not hooking up anywhere. :lolflag: :) :neutral: :sad: ](*,)
(:D)

And I really think "geek" has to do with computers primarily, and math/science falls into the nerd domain, which would punch a big hole in SuperKoop's definitions.

@old_gray_wolf - I could probably argue for hours, with very little basis, about this subject, but I think that geeky guys are very competitive amongst each other, but with women I think the problem is more being accidentally condescending. I don't think I really have this problem too bad, although I used to - this has largely been repaired as a result I think of going to a school where people are as good or better at what I do than I am.

And @Superkoop again no I'm not really trying to restrict myself only to people just like me; for one thing my first post was in large part a joke. It is however true that I have nothing in common with 9/10 21-year-old girls. I have been close friends with, and even interested in, girls who are not geeks/nerds, but those who are not do tend to belong to a particular hard-to-define subset of people who are very open-minded and intellectual. And I can safely restrict myself to people who will try to take an interest in what I do occasionally (because I know people who didn't...), and that is pretty restrictive when you're me... You think not many people care about Linux, try non-separating plane continua.

lthough currently I am doing more applied math which is marginally easier to discuss, as fundamentally what I am doing is a real-world problem rather than an abstraction.

Maybe I should just join the SCA :lolflag:
-seriously, that is how my parents met (and moreover my Dad joined to meet girls) - (and thus Zorgoth came to be - maybe this explains some things :D ?)

wkhasintha
August 14th, 2010, 06:24 AM
There are plenty of woman who works for Google, MS , who essentially are geeks.

ITTechnerd
August 14th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Well seriously, nerdy girls are the bomb because they have more to offer than to say “hey I can fix your computer for ya” believe me lol. I believe they are born with the nerdy talent in which I like. See just look at my profile pic its in the shape of the Ubuntu symbol, "now those fine nerdy girls are by far very <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<dedicated Ubuntu users.

Ms_Angel_D
August 14th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Closed for review

KiwiNZ
August 14th, 2010, 11:32 AM
This thread can stay closed. It is not in the spirit of Ubuntu and the spirit of these Forums