PDA

View Full Version : Hero dropped in water

ukripper
August 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
My cousin has HTC hero like me. He dropped it in water by accident, it powers up fine but when booted up, touchscreen fails to work. Sent back to Tmobile but they say they cant fix it as it is water damaged, therefore, contact your insurance company. Unfortunately, he didn't take insurance out with his phone. Does anyone know whether replacing the digitizer touchscreen sort the issue out. I am planning to take it apart and if touch screen is damanaged i'll just replace it with digitizer, costs about 25 odd quid.

Note: LCD, buttons operate just fine, it is just the touchscreen not sensing finger touch it seems.

pwnst*r
August 13th, 2010, 05:27 PM
How long ago did he drop it in water? It may not be dry yet. Ziploc bag + phone + bag of rice. Wait a couple of days and don't power it on. Oh, and pull that battery.

Ric_NYC
August 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7lR6HC8Akk

ukripper
August 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
How long ago did he drop it in water? It may not be dry yet. Ziploc bag + phone + bag of rice. Wait a couple of days and don't power it on. Oh, and pull that battery.

its been over two weeks now. Touchscreen still stuffed!!

bug67
August 13th, 2010, 05:46 PM
That bites. I just got my iPhone 3G wet from riding my motorcycle in the rain. Now, it won't charge nor will any of my computers recognise it. Luclily, I had just ordered a new one from Apple but it won't be here 'till September. I am now using my 6 year old Nokia. The moral of this story? Water and electronics don't mix well. :(

Groucho Marxist
August 13th, 2010, 05:54 PM
If it had just occurred, I would have recommended placing the phone in a bowl of rice and covering it with more of the same. I fixed my old phone in this fashion after it was accidentally immersed in water.

Tristam Green
August 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
dangit, opened this thread expecting Aquaman.

I'm sorely disappointed.

snowpine
August 13th, 2010, 06:23 PM

I'm sorely disappointed.

I was expecting a big sandwich and a bunch of happy ducks. :(

On topic: remove battery, disassemble, bag of rice is the best advice I can give.

mips
August 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Ideally what you should do after dropping a phone in water is to open it up and strip it and then give it a quick soak in methelated spirits followed by drying with a hair dryer.

Hman242
August 13th, 2010, 09:20 PM

I'm sorely disappointed.
I thought it was about the movie Invincible :(

Dustin2128
August 13th, 2010, 11:32 PM

I'm sorely disappointed.

I had the mental image of someone drowning spiderman in a pool.

Johnsie
August 13th, 2010, 11:34 PM
At the time I would've removed the battery and put it in a hot press for a few days. Probably too late now... but I've seen phones come back to life after over a week after being totally submerged.