PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop environments going downhill?

Zeemvel
August 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I discovered on this forum why the close button is now on the left:

Minimize, Maximize and Close button placement.
A decision has been taken to move the placement to the left. Mark Shuttleworth explained that this was because "something" is going to be placed in the right hand area in the next release. Moving the buttons now would help enable this change.
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/333
To place a shopping cart icon on the right side.

20 years of user interface tradition, thrown away, to put a shopping cart there?

Why is the gas pedal of a car always on the right side? Because people are used to it that way. Why not keep user interfaces consistent too?

Further in the link is another message about removing the status bars. If anything, the status bar could get the special icons.

Is Gnome into this as well, or is it just Ubuntu?

Frogs Hair
August 13th, 2010, 03:55 PM
There are no winners or losers in the button discussion. The topic has been discussed and debated many times, even before 10.04 was released . I'm not thrilled about the shopping cart , but it's a mock up and I do like the left . Please move non support thread.

cj.surrusco
August 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I wouldn't totally agree with everything the OP said, as far as desktop enviornments getting worse, but I don't really like this whole idea. Why would you need so many indicators? The reason that they were on the panel was because you only needed one set of them, not one set for every window. Suggesting that the only reason they are on the panel is because of a Windows 3.1 precedent is bogus. I think that this is Ubuntu trying to be too different.

I hope that you are able to move the Maximize/Minimize/Close buttons back to the right, like I had to do with Lucid. It doesn't really make sense to me why they had to put the indicators on the right instead of the left.