PDA

View Full Version : Skype can't be installed

bastart
August 13th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I downloaded the debian package from Skype.com but when I tried to install them, there's text box appeared saying I'm have to install a later version.

So I tried the terminal method

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install skype

and still no Skype in my computer. Anyone?

kerry_s
August 13th, 2010, 11:24 AM
does it show skype as installed in synaptic package manager?

bastart
August 14th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Managed to install it thru Synaptic and now Skype won't produce any sound but microphone and webcam are working. Whats wrong?

kerry_s
August 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Managed to install it thru Synaptic and now Skype won't produce any sound but microphone and webcam are working. Whats wrong?

check it's not muted in the skype settings.

bastart
August 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Nope. It is still unmuted. Does this have to do with sound driver because my Rhythmbox and Chromium happened to be experiencing the same thing over and over again

kyphi
August 15th, 2010, 06:16 AM
It would be helpful if you would state what equipment you are using Skype on.

kerry_s
August 15th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Nope. It is still unmuted. Does this have to do with sound driver because my Rhythmbox and Chromium happened to be experiencing the same thing over and over again

use synaptic to uninstall "gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio" it's broken & has been crashing pulseaudio.

log out & back in

press-> alt+f2
type-> gstreamer-properties

change plugin to alsa

press-> alt+f2
type-> gnome-volume-control

make sure your hardware & input & output are correct.

kyphi
August 15th, 2010, 08:49 AM
While the solution proposed by kerry_s may work, I would hesitate to remove gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio.

However, if you do so, you can re-install it again at any time.

Pulseaudio and Skype work fine on four of my computers, two of which are netbooks running the netbook remix. My netbooks are Asus Eee pcs.

kerry_s
August 15th, 2010, 09:43 AM
While the solution proposed by kerry_s may work, I would hesitate to remove gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio.

However, if you do so, you can re-install it again at any time.

Pulseaudio and Skype work fine on four of my computers, two of which are netbooks running the netbook remix. My netbooks are Asus Eee pcs.

it does not remove pulseaudio. it only removes the problem libs.
pulseaudio is still there & works just fine.

bastart
August 15th, 2010, 09:54 AM
@kyphi im using hp mini 210

I removed pulseaudio and reseted output. Both Chromium and Rhythmbox work just fine but still no audio from Skype

kerry_s
August 15th, 2010, 11:10 AM
it's got to be in skype then.
you clicked that little icon on the bottom left corner & went to options-> sound devices, made sure the output was right?