PDA

View Full Version : Is Wine finally there???

samalex
August 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Not long ago I tried to install Office 2007 on Ubuntu 10.04 using the stock version of Wine from the repos (no config tweaks), and it installed without a hitch. Access does give some gripes, but everything else I've tried has worked. With this I also run Echolink, Pronto Chat (for school), and a few other Windows apps on Linux with zero problems. Then today I read (http://www.wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/games/thousands-play-starcraft-2-on-linux-with-wine.html) lots of people are running Starcraft 2 on Linux using Wine.

Granted it'll be hard for Wine to be 100%, but is it about to the point where most commonly used applications will run natively on Linux without crazy configuration tweaks or using something like Crossover Office?

I know there are FOSS equivs to most apps like MS Office, but for the users who need these applications, it's nice to see they will install and run. Unless there's some rules in the EULA preventing installation on non-Windows platforms, would this be a selling point for some to finally make the switch to Linux?

Sam

Zorgoth
August 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I know that I finally was able to drop Windows when I found that not just some but *all* of the games I played in Windows work in wine, and moreover steam works as well!