PDA

View Full Version : You know your a nerd when

NMFTM
August 12th, 2010, 09:21 PM
I was sitting in the passenger seat of a friend's car who was driving me home from school today looking at the people and businesses that passed by. When I saw one store with a large white sign with red lettering that read "HARDWARE". I immediately thought "cool, a computer store that isn't apart of a large corporate chain. I'll have to go there sometime".

Milliseconds later I glanced down into the store's windows saw power tools, paint brushes, and other miscellaneous home repair items hanging from front display peg board.

I was very disappointed.

Bachstelze
August 12th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I haven't read the thread but s/your/you\'re/.

samalex
August 12th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Years ago an aunt was visiting (not staying with us), and she asked if I had a keyboard she could use. I said yup, and that she could borrow it if she'd like. That evening she came over and was floored when I handed her one of my computer keyboards... she was wanting a music keyboard to practice her piano. :D

It happens to the best of us...

Sam

drawkcab
August 12th, 2010, 10:47 PM

I was thinking the same. You're not much of a nerd if you're still confusing "your" and "you're."

NMFTM
August 13th, 2010, 12:11 AM
I'm sorry that I'm not Noam Chomsky.

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 02:58 AM
<3 Noam Chomsky

RiceMonster
August 13th, 2010, 03:02 AM

Yeah seriously.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
August 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l93/ST3ALTHPSYCH0/doingitwrong.jpg

Nick_Jinn
August 13th, 2010, 03:49 AM
<3 Noam Chomsky

Gnome Chomsky is probably one of the smartest men alive.

Computer nerds tend to be spelling nazis dont they?

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
August 13th, 2010, 04:24 AM

And why not?

cd ~/Desktop != cd ~/Dsketop

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 04:56 AM

Yes, but in this case I am being a usage Nazi.

Nick_Jinn
August 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM
lol :)

I think we should have an official 'type like an adolescent text messenger day'.

lisati
August 13th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Years ago an aunt was visiting (not staying with us), and she asked if I had a keyboard she could use. I said yup, and that she could borrow it if she'd like. That evening she came over and was floored when I handed her one of my computer keyboards... she was wanting a music keyboard to practice her piano. :D

It happens to the best of us...

Sam
I can relate to this: I've had people refer to my "keyboard" as a "piano", even though it's one of the sort that's best played with two fingers.

Nick_Jinn
August 13th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Speaking of that, is there a piano or Synth program that turns the keys of your keyboard into keys for the instrument and allows you to use multi-key commands?

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I can't express my relief when I was asked to clean windows at my parents' and it WASN'T related to a computer. I'm so glad they use Ubuntu T^T.

NMFTM
August 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
And why not?

cd ~/Desktop != cd ~/Dsketop
Or make use of the tab key.

"cd De" + [TAB] -> "cd Desktop"

ticopelp
August 13th, 2010, 04:42 PM
This thread was actually a diabolical scheme by the OP to flush out the nerds with incorrect grammar.

"Haven't read thread but... must... pedantically... correct... OP...!"

JDShu
August 13th, 2010, 05:50 PM
This thread was actually a diabolical scheme by the OP to flush out the nerds with incorrect grammar.

"Haven't read thread but... must... pedantically... correct... OP...!"

indeed, it was very effective. I think nerds should take more linguistics classes.

drawkcab
August 13th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I am a pedant!

era86
August 13th, 2010, 07:01 PM
i don't know about nerd, but you know you're a geek when you end sentences like this;

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I don't know about you, but it was the beginning of your sentence that upset me! D: OH LAWDZ, what haz I becum!?

But seriously, you know you're a nerd when someone talks about standards and you think about the internet and file formats. I guess if we brought up values I'd have to start thinking about python.

Sometimes I think Richard Stallman has the right idea, putting ideas before technology. At least in this case he seems like less of a geek than I.

ST3ALTHPSYCH0
August 14th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I speak in internet memes.... Mostly I think that just makes me a poor conversationalist.