PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Change Deskbar Icon

ThomasB2k
August 12th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Hi! So what I want to do is change the icon that the deskbar applet shows in the panel. I've read that you can change the icon that is in the text input box (http://is.gd/eeSha), but I've had no luck finding any thing to change the actual panel icon.

tl;dr version:
I want to change this icon: http://is.gd/eeSmR

The icons in /usr/share/deskbar-applet/art/ don't manipulate this icon.

Thanks in advance.

cmcanulty
August 12th, 2010, 09:52 PM
I was also hoping to use custom icons for some of my stuff , like certain folders but no luck so far.

ThomasB2k
August 23rd, 2010, 02:29 AM
Bump

mcbiff
September 19th, 2010, 04:25 AM
bump - OP is right, the icons in /usr/share/deskbar-applet/art do not correspond to the one on the panel. anyone got any ideas?

Wage
September 25th, 2010, 05:56 AM
Just stick an icon with the name deskbar-applet.png in your icon themes apps size 24 folder. /usr/share/icons/ is where ubuntu icon themes are stored.

cmcanulty
September 25th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I downloaded some icons to that location but still don't see how to have it appear on panel. I rt clicked the icon on panel and did properties but no icon option, thank you.I do see if I go to properties of a file, there is an emblem option but I can't see how to add a custom one. I looked in usr/share/icons but then there are a bunch of folders and I don't know which one to paste my icons into

C.B.Leslie
September 25th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Just stick an icon with the name deskbar-applet.png in your icon themes apps size 24 folder. /usr/share/icons/ is where ubuntu icon themes are stored.

Confirming this works. :) Thank you.

cmcanulty
September 26th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Thanks but there are about 20 folders but none named themes apps 24 I did paste them into the icons folder but they still don't show up as a choice.

Wage
September 27th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks but there are about 20 folders but none named themes apps 24 I did paste them into the icons folder but they still don't show up as a choice.

What theme are you using? If you're using Humanity for example, the icon would go in /usr/share/icons/Humanity/apps/24/

cmcanulty
September 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Well that's what I thought but I am using Clearlooks theme and there is no Clearlooks folder.

Wage
September 28th, 2010, 03:22 AM
Well that's what I thought but I am using Clearlooks theme and there is no Clearlooks folder.

Check in ~/.icons/

cmcanulty
September 28th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Here is a screenshot of the folder but still it doesn't appear as on option. I am trying to use the guitar.pgn icon, thank you

Wage
September 29th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Here is a screenshot of the folder but still it doesn't appear as on option. I am trying to use the guitar.pgn icon, thank you

If you're trying to change the deskbar icon on your panel it needs to be in the apps folder and called deskbar-applet.png

If you don't have an apps folder you'll need to create one and add it to your index.theme file.

cmcanulty
September 29th, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm trying to change some folder icons in Documents and folder on the panel