PDA

View Full Version : Linux From Scratch

bunburya
August 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Hi, surprisingly I searched and could not find a dedicated thread on this, maybe I've missed something. I also didn't really know where to put this apart from here.

Anyway, I've been randomly browsing when I should be doing something more productive and I've come across Linux From Scratch. The site says it's a great way to learn more about how Linux operating systems actually work, which is something I'd love to do. The problem is that I am very inexperienced when it comes to programming or the inner workings of operating systems. I don't study, and haven't studied, computer science or any similar course in college. I'm currently learning Python but that's really the extent of my knowledge. I'm very interested in how operating systems like Linux work, but I really have no knowledge in that area. That's one of the main reasons I want to learn a bit more about it.

Does it sound like LFS is for me, or should I wait until I am a bit more familiar with the topic? Are there any particular areas which I would need to know more about before I can attempt this (maybe C), and if LFS is too advanced is there anything similar but more appropriate for a newbie that I could try?

Thanks for the advice!

oldos2er
August 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
If I were you, I'd probably start out by compiling some simple programs from source; once I'm comfortable with that, move on to compiling a kernel, and after I've mastered that, give LFS a shot. But I'm not you. :)

LowSky
August 12th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I think its great to work backwards. If you want to learn more about your system or how Linux works from behind the GUI then try install Linux distros like Gentoo or Arch. You dont build from scratch per se but you do learn a decent more about how things are set up or required.

frostschutz
August 12th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I did Linux From Scratch once, manually, it's an interesting experience.

Nowadays you can do it in a much more stress free manner than I did. You can use a VM like VirtualBox, I had to make my one and only machine unusable for several days. :D

So yeah sure, go for it, if you want to, and see how far you'll get.

Just don't expect a usable system though. Even if you can get everything including X to work, in the long run it's just way too much hassle to keep everything updated and compatible to each other.

samalex
August 12th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Nowadays you can do it in a much more stress free manner than I did. You can use a VM like VirtualBox, I had to make my one and only machine unusable for several days. :D

I agree... doing LFS in VirtualBox is definitely the way to go, plus you can make back-ups of your image between major steps as to roll-back if something doesn't go as planned.

I've started LFS a few times over the years but never followed one through to the end. It's on my to-do list though.

Sam

bunburya
August 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks everybody! From what I've read it sounds as though I would have to learn a bit more before I even started LFS. Compiling, for example (I've only ever compiled very simple c++ programs using g++). It sounds as though starting a project like this may not be the best thing for me yet, especially since I'm just going into a very busy (and important) year in college.

I'm interested in what LowSky said about Arch. I know that Gentoo is a challenge to maintain and teaches you a lot about the Linux architecture, but I didn't know that about Arch. I might look into that.