PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running google talk in ubuntu

rahul_cse25
August 12th, 2010, 12:57 PM
I have a laptop which is dual booted with ubuntu 10.4 and Vista.I have Google talk installed in Windows Vista through which i chat with my friends.Is it possible that i can use google talk in ubuntu as well,because whenever i want to chat with my friends i have to log off ubuntu and log into windows vista.

skarme
August 12th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I have a laptop which is dual booted with ubuntu 10.4 and Vista.I have Google talk installed in Windows Vista through which i chat with my friends.Is it possible that i can use google talk in ubuntu as well,because whenever i want to chat with my friends i have to log off ubuntu and log into windows vista.
Why not use Empathy or Pidgin to chat.
Google talk can be installed on Ubuntu though.
First install Wine:

sudo apt-get install wine

Now run the setup and choose Wine as the application runner in case you are prompted for one.

BriceHulse
August 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM
You can use Wine, but some programs run in Wine aren't able to access the internet. You could download the Crossover Linux demo to see if Google Talk works in it. If it does, you can buy a licence. Crossover is pretty much a more powerful Wine, in fact, it's actually based on Wine.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/

Zeike
August 12th, 2010, 07:06 PM

Both pidgin and empathy have built-in support for the google talk protocol.

Gaygerbil
August 12th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Just use Empathy it's integrated into Ubuntu better than any other IM Client I've ever used and it'll take way less resources than using Wine to run Google Talk.

rahul_cse25
January 16th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Could you kindly let me know how can i use Empathy in ubuntu.I mean where will i find it.Do i have to download it,or shall i find it inbuilt.