PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to get my window controls back on the left

josephe
August 12th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Hi all
I'm using Emerald theme Manager and am very happy with the way it's working, except that for some reason I can't find out how to get my window controls (min/max/close) to got back to the top left where 10.4 has it by default.

Any ideas appreciated

Joseph

p.s how do I get screen shots like in windows ctrl-printscreen ?

ronnielsen1
August 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13535/move-window-buttons-back-to-the-right-in-ubuntu-10.04/

One of the more controversial changes in the Ubuntu 10.04 beta is the Mac OS-inspired change to have window buttons on the left side. We’ll show you how to move the buttons back to the right.

howefield
August 12th, 2010, 01:37 PM
ps how do I get screen shots like in windows ctrl-printscreen ?

Press the print screen button to get the desktop or if you just want shot of a particular window, try Alt + print screen.

Also, Applications > Accessories > Take Screenshot.

ronnielsen1
August 12th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I'm sorry, you WANT your controls back to the left. Basically same tutorial, just change the order

mcduck
August 12th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry, you WANT your controls back to the left. Basically same tutorial, just change the order

The tutorial is for Metacity (Or Compiz+GTK Window Decorator). The OP is using Emerald instead.

Anyway, Emerald does have a similar way of configuring window buttons. It's in Emerald Theme Manager, either under "Options" or "Edit Themes" (can't remember which one, it's been ages since I've used Emerald).

TNT1
August 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Install ubuntu tweak, then you can put the buttons, window name, window icon, wherever the heck you want. You don't even need to keep the buttons grouped together.

mcduck
August 12th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Install ubuntu tweak, then you can put the buttons, window name, window icon, wherever the heck you want. You don't even need to keep the buttons grouped together.

That won't help either. It, like the hand-editing through gconf-editor suggested above, only changes the button order for Metacity themes.

For Emerald themes this is done through the Emerald Theme Manager instead.

josephe
August 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Wow thanks everyone, sorry I took soo long to acknowledge all the help this forum gives everyone :-)