PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Could not upgrade from 9.10 to Lucid via Update Manager

oldpath
August 12th, 2010, 05:07 AM
W:Failed to fetch http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/lucid-backports/Release Unable to find expected entry main/debian-installer/binary-i386/Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
, E:Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

I recently upgraded from Jaunty to 9.10 Karmic Koala and there were no glitches. I got brave and tried to upgrade via the Update Manager and got the above error msg. I have read back 12 pages and saw several things that can go wrong by going this route.

So, maybe, I am lucky the upgrade did not go. Who knows. Maybe I should be happy to have a working 9.10 system at this point and live with it until I am fully prepared to do a clean install. Does that make more sense than what I tried to do?

If the above error msg is not an easy fix I will just live with Karmic for the time being. I am glad I read back a ways to see what else has happened. That is the reason I am not real motivated to do this upgrade now.

Thanks for any advice in a general way. I just wonder if this error msg might be a blessing at this point.

oldpath

dino99
August 12th, 2010, 06:33 AM
before updating/upgrading, clean your system:

- check synaptic repo tab: remove/deactivate all third party and ppa
- update all repo to "lucid"

into console: sudo apt-get clean ... autoclean ... autoremove

then you can update and safe-upgrade

oldpath
August 12th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks Dino99.
I will try your suggestions and see if it works. I have a few third party apps in there somewhere.

I would like to close this thread as solved. How do I do that?

Frogs Hair
August 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Thanks Dino99.
I will try your suggestions and see if it works. I have a few third party apps in there somewhere.

Annigma
August 19th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks Dino99.

Did it work?
I'm tempted to use update manager to go from Karmic to 10.04.1 LTS, but having tried that route once before (from Feisty I think..) I'm wary..
I've waited till .1 came out as I read somewhere it's safer..

If it worked for you, I'll have a go at following dino's instructions.

Thanks