PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] Ubuntu on G3 Powerbook with no KDE

haxorknight
August 12th, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hello,

I have a 1999 (sorry, got the years mixed up) G3 Lombard Powerbook. I want to install Ubuntu on to it (I've gotten it to work before, a long long time ago), but I don't want a GUI or KDE. I just want a command line. It can't handle much other then basic text input, and that's all I want it to do.

I was wondering if installing Ubuntu Server 6.06 would be fine. I prefer to have a desktop version if possible though.

Any help is appreciated.

Revolutionary101
August 12th, 2010, 03:48 AM
Well first off why not install the 10.04 server edition, instead of the outdated 6.06? Ubuntu 6.06 is still supported but not for as long as Ubuntu 10.04 is.

Second, I don't know if your laptop will even be able to run Ubuntu server well. The requirements page here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements) shows that it needs 128 MB of RAM. I sure hope you didn't stick with the default of 64 MB of RAM.

Edit: I doubt your computer would even be able to run the lightest Desktop version of Ubuntu (Lubuntu). Although you may be able to use a different Linux distro to get better performance.

haxorknight
August 12th, 2010, 03:53 AM
I've actually tried Ubuntu 10.04 (the desktop version), it didn't respond to it and tried to boot into Mac OS 8.6. It actually has 192MBs of RAM, it's still not super fast, but all it needs to do is take text, so I naturally thought the server edition would be the way to go, since it installed by default without a GUI of any sort.

Ubuntu 6.06 (the server version was the only one listed in the alternate downloads area) was what I could find that was compatible with my powerbook as well.

EDIT: What would you recommend? If in the end no distros work with the powerbook, I'll just go back to Mac OS 8.6.

linuxopjemac
August 12th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Try my Linux Mint, it works great on a PowerBook G3. I have it running on a Pismo.

http://mac.linux.be/content/mint-lxde-debian-lenny-ppc