PDA

View Full Version : So I have a spare PC lying around......

renzokuken
April 4th, 2006, 05:55 PM
ok, i now have a spare pc lying around, its nothing fancy, about 3 or 4 years old with an Athlon processor, low level graphics (and 3 or 4 years old dont forget) and 256 ram (came with windows ME on it)

so.....anyone suggest anything interesting to do with it?

i have no need for a web server by the way.

thanks

PatrickMay16
April 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
You could use it to test many different linux distributions without running the risk of breaking your setup in your main machine.
You could keep it as a spare in case for some reason your main machine stops working.
You could set it up for use and give it to a friend of yours who doesn't have a computer.

IYY
April 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM
A media PC, to put in your living room and watch movies/listen to music on. You can connect it to your TV and stereo system.

Mr_J_
April 4th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Run some other more customizable distro you think it would be good to learn.
Gentoo keeps poping up. Slackware is also a ghost in the shadows.

renzokuken
April 4th, 2006, 06:40 PM
i am thinking about Gentoo, always been meaning to try it

the other idea i had was a dedicated MythTV box, i think the graphics card has a tv out (just hoping its not ATI !!). if i could find a cheap hauppage freeview card then maybe.

NeghVar
April 4th, 2006, 07:52 PM
Set it up to do something, give it a net connection and let it fold, might as well use whatever cpu power it has.

tribaal
April 4th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Set it up to become a Rosetta@home (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta) cruncher!

That's a good way to use theses spare CPU cycles you have sitting in a corner :)

-Trib'

beercz
April 4th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Use it as a backup server - that's what I have done with my old pc

tribaal
April 4th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Then do a backup server that folds :)

K.Mandla
April 4th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Set it up to fold, or perhaps to search for aliens.

SeanTater
April 4th, 2006, 10:33 PM
I would go for folding.. A backup server would be good, just set up rsync. I use sshfs+rsync.

Then again, if you are for charity, giving it to someone lacking a computer is also a good idea. It's an especially good idea because you are introducing Linux to someone who has not been tainted by Windblows.

tribaal
April 4th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Give out a backup server that runs both SETI (http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/) and Rosetta@home (http://bonic.bakerlab.org/rosetta) to charity, then :)

Omnios
April 4th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Install Ubuntu and use it as a back up web machine in case you need access if your main computer goes on the frits and also load it up for music so you may listen to toons while gamming etc.

briancurtin
April 4th, 2006, 10:49 PM
id say try a distro that you havent used before and mess with it

GarethMB
April 4th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Huck it out the window. You enjoy it for a moment at least.

this may result in absolutely no enjoyment whatsoever ;)

John.Michael.Kane
April 5th, 2006, 12:42 AM
Song Server be it mp3,ogg,fac.

jannol
April 5th, 2006, 04:54 AM
Jabber server maybe

freedomforme
April 5th, 2006, 07:07 AM
no need for a web server! But may be just the ticket for a file server for home. I keep all my documents, pr0n, music and so forth on a seperate machine that sits in the corner. And of course search for aliens... :D

renzokuken
April 9th, 2006, 11:35 AM
You could use it to test many different linux distributions without running the risk of breaking your setup in your main machine.
You could keep it as a spare in case for some reason your main machine stops working.
You could set it up for use and give it to a friend of yours who doesn't have a computer.

dude, i think u jinxed me, my PSU blew up last night so i'm now using the "spare" as a backup (with dapper of course)

>_<

nzruss
April 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM
once youve got your main PC back up and runing, you could build a MAME arcade machine / coffee table. Perfect if youve got kids, or even an inner child.

GarethMB
April 10th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Huck it out the window.
Guess its good you didn't take my suggestion then ;)

renzokuken
April 10th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Guess its good you didn't take my suggestion then ;)

hahaha....no, but you have no idea how tempted i was, seriously

GarethMB
April 10th, 2006, 12:43 PM
hahaha....no, but you have no idea how tempted i was, seriously
I was part serious. Smashing stuff is fun. Shame it can't be undone.

renzokuken
April 13th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I was part serious. Smashing stuff is fun. Shame it can't be undone.

cant u boot to console......

sudo apt-get remove smashed-computer-hardware-lying-in-thousands-of-pieces-on-the-road

truNWA
April 13th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Well since myspace has become so popular, you could in theory sell space to people on myspace that need to up load stuff like music etc. etc.

or start making your own distro (using Xfce of course[since the system is old])

EDIT:

^^^^ i like smashing a lot too, though.

vvv haha failed quotes:D(just kidding around by this)

aktiwers
April 13th, 2006, 06:58 PM
[quote]A media PC, to put in your living room and watch movies/listen to music on. You can connect it to your TV and stereo system.[/qoute]

Thats what I did! And setup a network to this PC, and use all the musik and movies in the living room.

Next thing to do is to MOD the case. :)