PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Second Life?

TheNerdAL
August 11th, 2010, 08:46 PM
So Chris Pirillo gave a tour of Second Life and it was interesting. What's it about? And is it true that a lot of it is sex?

linux18
August 11th, 2010, 08:49 PM
probably

juancarlospaco
August 11th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Cool Store Bro...

lovinglinux
August 11th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Second Life still exists?

My personal experience with it.....boooooooring. Perhaps that thing is designed for young people who can handle more than a hundred control options simultaneously.

That being said, I'm sure it can be useful for learning experiences.

andymorton
August 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM
I tried it a few years ago out of curiosity. I got bored pretty quickly though. I didn't even know it was still around.

andy

Naiki Muliaina
August 11th, 2010, 11:31 PM
Its still around because nothing has ever come as close to being what Second Life set out to be.
Uses for SL, 123 :

Social website (3d version of a facebook or summit)

Live Music (lotsa folks sing/stream live into SL, some acts are AWESOME!)

Comedians (gotta love em! Fair bit of stand up in SL)

Art (Indigo and Meads closed this year :( But theres still lotsa awesome art places in SL)

Roleplay (used to RP a lot in previous games so never done it in SL, but theres some stunnin places)

Combat games ( Some people have designed combat systems / sims, tried it, quite good fun actually ^^)

Makins Money (SL money is directly transferable to RL, if you have talent you can make an RL living there, though dont be disillusioned that takes a ruddy lot of hard work!)

Creative outlet (like myself, you can write stuff, play stuff, build stuff, only limit is your imagination (and your prim count! :P ))

Exploring (some really beautifully made places in SL, search for Kowloon or Blue Galaxy, great places to explore!)

Racing (there are no good or pretty racing games for Linux, SL fills both theres slot nicely for me)

Counselling ( Seems there's a few counsellors use Second Life to interact with patients. Its a more relaxed environment and many people open up more via MMO's in general than they do in RL (thinking about some of the things i have told my Guildwars mates, that sounds true))

Education (Just completed some 'using gimp' and 'introduction to Blender' courses. Good fun.)

Social Studies (Peoples behaviour in SL has made several appearances in New Scientist magazine in the past.)

If you play Second Life nowdays compared to 5 years ago, some areas have the most stunning visuals and talented builders. It can be a joy just wandering through them areas and seeing what people have created when given a 3D realm, some paint pots and building tools, and told to go wild.

To the comments on sex in SL, since the changes to adult content, you don't really bump into it unless your looking for it.

juancarlospaco
August 11th, 2010, 11:37 PM
Why you support closed source anyways?,
theres an open source version of second life...

chriswyatt
August 11th, 2010, 11:57 PM
No one uses Second Life, not one single person in the whole world. Everyone on there is actually a bot and if you try and go on there you are actually sent to an alternate alternate reality that is not Second Life.

Naiki Muliaina
August 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM

The Second Life client for main and other grids is Open Source.

juancarlospaco
August 12th, 2010, 12:19 AM
The Second Life client for main and other grids is Open Source.

The Server, not the client.

lee shore
August 12th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I once watched a ch5news slot on secondlife and was left feeling it was for pervs and peados so left it at that.

Legendary_Bibo
August 12th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Why does it matter? It's used to make a profit. It's a business based off of advertising...a lot.

I tried second life once years ago on my computer that had a really weak graphics card. Most of the world wouldn't render. The advertisements did. I did spend a few hours chatting it up with people from canada in the world before the main world, and wasn't impressed with anything in there.