PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] And the Booby Prize Goes to...

oldefoxx
August 11th, 2010, 07:36 PM
If it's funny, then why aren't I laughing?

[Update Manager] on taskbar. Click on it. Something about critical or urgent updates. Short list. Don't bother scanning list, just allow. Enter password. Does it's thing and stop. Tab there to read description of what updates take care of. Click on tab. Blank list. Go back to what I was doing before. Later, shut off PC and go to bed.

[Next Day] Return to PC and Boot. Everything normal. As usual, I try to enter password and it only gets first few characters. Have to use mouse to click on field, erase astericks, and start again. Wonder if everybody is having same experience. Ah, selected background coming up.

Oops! Background just splintered into small interlaced segments on screen. Sometimes happens, but usually recovers. Oops! Now those have degenerated into many more interlaced ones, almost like a carpet pattern. Now what? Oops! Splintered again into pinpoints of color. Oops! Now screen is black. Hmmm. What to do next? Let's try something.

[Ctrl+Alt+Del] Did the screen just go slightly darker? I think the screen just went slightly darker. What else? Nothing else. How do I pick something if I can't see it? It may not even be where I can pick something. Try something else.

[Brief Press Powerbutton] Usually that brings up an exit menu. Is there an exit menu showing? No. but then the screen is black, so how can I tell? Don't want to slip up and go into hybernate or sleep mode and not know what to do next.

[Background suddenly up] Where did Firefox go? I grabbed for the phone while typing this, took a message, put my hands back on the keys, and Firefox is gone. No, its icon is on 1st desktop symbol. Is that five or six desktop symbols I see there? Five. No six, but the last is small. No it's five, bit there is a color icon on half of it. No it's four, but the Firefox icon appears to split the first desktop icon. Just click on that and get back to reporting. Okay, report screen is up, where was I?

[reboot] Okay, screem remained dark and ir seemed no help for it except full power down and restart. Good, it's restarting, but which reboot option to reboot with? Normal, which just failed me? Recovery, but that never resolves screen issues. Previous, you mean back to the install level and go through update process again. Previous recpvery, but what would that gain me? Might better stqrt over with the LiveCD. I guess the normal mode and hope it gets up and running on its own.

[up and running[ Boy, had a few anxious moments there, but everything looks good right now. I guess I will write a report on this in case it means something to someone else. You ought to at least have a way to cause it to drop into VGA mode or a lower graphics setting if the screen loses it like that. Come to think of it, Sister got hung at a 640x480 setting because the Apply button was below the lower edge of the scrcreeneen, and the window could not be shifted higher on the screen to reach the Apply button to change the current setting. These could work like the ctrl and plus key combo in FireFox to go to achieve a zoom in effect, ors ctrl and minus key combo in FireFox to zoom out instead. Now that could be a help sometimes.

Dee, like I first said, nothing really to laugh at. I wish that phone would stop ringing every minute or so. It keeps interfering with my thinking and typing. It's always for my wife, but she went to get her hair done. Unless it is her calling to check on me or to see if there is anything I want her to pick up. But that is life for you.