PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Too many Desktop Appearance Programs

Bridges.McConnell
August 11th, 2010, 07:25 PM
ok, so here is my problem. I originally installed ubuntu ultimate 9.04. Then I have upgraded everything. And now, I have so many porgrams that can change the appearances (background, themes, pointer, icons) etc. That I am going nuts. And I don't know if i even wanted xubuntu. Is there a ubuntu 10.4? How does one know what desktop envioronment is being used. I have compiz and love to use it. But i can't get anything to work anymore.

Like for instance, I can't change my pointer. Also, I can't get the generic background to turn off like it used to so i can have multiple backgrounds. There are just so many things on this laptop. But I don't have a way to store my stuff and do a fresh install..

So can anyone please help me?

kerry_s
August 11th, 2010, 07:56 PM
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

thats for the normal gnome.

Bridges.McConnell
August 11th, 2010, 08:00 PM
But that is a fresh install. What am i supposed to do since i have everything installed?

kerry_s
August 11th, 2010, 08:30 PM
But that is a fresh install. What am i supposed to do since i have everything installed?

then tell us what appearance programs you have, so we can tell you how to delete the settings, then you can uninstall the programs.

whats wrong with a fresh install of the latest version?

Bridges.McConnell
August 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM
It will delete all my programs and data, the fresh install will. Will it not?

kerry_s
August 12th, 2010, 12:27 AM
It will delete all my programs and data, the fresh install will. Will it not?

yeap, so back up what you want to keep.

nick_goodfate
August 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM
But I don't have a way to store my stuff and do a fresh install..

He cannot backup his stuff ....