PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Solution found, can't implement it. Help.

Voidis
August 11th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I'm a total Linux newb, and I seem to have gotten the wrong laptop for that. An L505D-GS6000. Apparently, it's hard to install linux on it unless you do some things (it stops with a bunch of ACPI errors. I found a solution, but I have no idea how to do it. Can anyone tell step by step how to do this?

"Thanks corelulos! Everything worked great. To summarize:

for L505D GS6000

Install 10.4
Boot with pci=noacpi
Run HexOr's script found here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=268
Get wifi drivers from here (thanks corerlulos!): http://www.4shared.com/file/crG9xUGH...nstructio.html

Thanks everyone! I have 10.4 working on my Toshiba Satellite L505D GS6000, with everything fine, power controls, trackpad, wifi now."

How do I boot with pci=noacpi?
How do I run a script?

Voidis
August 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM
Okay, I got the ACPI off. Now to figure out the script...

alexshr
August 11th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Boot with pci=noacpi

This has to be added to the end of the grub start command options.

When you are at the grub menu, hit "e" this will take you to the edit mode, and you'll get the listing similar to the one below, these are different from machines to machines:

recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,7)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 3f523833-024e-46ff-a52d-cd172aa38fd3
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=3f523833-024e-46ff-a52d-cd172aa38fd3 ro i915.powersave=0 quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic

Now you will have to add pci=noacpi to the 4th line so the line becomes

recordfail
insmod ext2
set root='(hd0,7)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 3f523833-024e-46ff-a52d-cd172aa38fd3
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-24-generic root=UUID=3f523833-024e-46ff-a52d-cd172aa38fd3 ro i915.powersave=0 quiet splash pci=noacpi
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-24-generic

Now to use that settings and continue with boot, you'll have to hit Ctrl+C, I don't remember it exactly, You can read the instructions on screen and follow onwards.

This will only temporarily change the boot options, to make these changes permanent, you will have to add that changes to the file, which is located in /boot/grub/grub.cfg.

Hope you got some idea.

-alexshr

tommcd
August 11th, 2010, 07:55 PM
How do I boot with pci=noacpi?
To boot with pci=noacpi every time the computer boots, edit /etc/default/grub with any text editor. Use the gedit text editor, since it is an easy text editor to use:

gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub
Find the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="". If it does not exist, then just add it to the file. Put pci=noacpi in between the quotes at the end of the line so it looks like this:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="pci=noacpi"
Save and exit the file. Then run from the terminal:

sudo update-grub
Reference:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#grub%20%28/etc/default/grub%29
Editing /boot/grub/grub.cfg is not recommended. This file is recreated every time there is a kernel update for Ubuntu. So you would have re-edit it every time there is a kernel update. That is why the file is made read only, and that is why it says Do Not Edit This File at the top of the file. Editing /etc/default/grub will persist after kernel updates.

How do I run a script?
That script you linked to is a Windows .exe file. This will not work on linux.