View Full Version : [ubuntu] iPhone syncing with gtkpod

August 11th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hello everyone.

I'm very keen to move over from Windows to Linux and I'm trying to install Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx) on an old laptop before I commit to switching over my desktop. The one major point, which will be the deciding factor as to whether or not I install it on my desktop, is whether or not I can sync my iPhone on it.

I have installed a minimal version of Ubuntu 10.04 according to this (http://disambiguation.wordpress.com/2008/08/17/a-minimal-ubuntu-install-the-basics/) with the exception of installing Gnome instead of xfce4 (since I understand it mounts the iPhone automatically).

I've also installed GTKPod.

The problem is that, despite getting the iPhone icon on the desktop, I can't get GTKPod to connect to it. When I connect my iPhone, I get a window saying I've just inserted a digital audio player and I am prompted as to which program to launch. When I open GTKPod and try to load iPod, I get a warning window saying "Extended info will not be used" and "iPod Database Import failed".

Does anyone have any idea as to why? I'm quite an advanced user of Windows, but the complexities of Linux are baffling me.