PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can I install KDE too??

krishnandu.sarkar
August 11th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Hey friends, I'm using ubuntu and now I want to try Kubuntu too. But I don't want another OS. Is it possible to install KDE DE too?? Won't it create any problem??

Please suggest anything other that I should keep in mind while performing this task.

linux18
August 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

perfectly safe

krishnandu.sarkar
August 11th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks. How will I choose which DE to use?? I think there is a option at login screen, but I've enable auto-login. And I don't want to remove that feature. Is there any other ways out??

And one more question....Does KDE apps gets installed with KDE DE too?? I mean with the above command?? If yes, I don't want to see KDE apps in GNOME and vice-versa. Is this done automatically?? Or I have to do something to achieve that??

linux18
August 11th, 2010, 05:40 PM
you will have a choice at login, you can setup auto login after it is installed, yes some kde apps will come with kubuntu-desktop and will mix with gnome. you can limit this by only installing th DE not the whole kubuntu, unfortunately the command for that eludes me at the moment.

krishnandu.sarkar
August 11th, 2010, 06:10 PM
It's ok..!! Thanks a lot..!! :)

LightningCrash
August 11th, 2010, 06:23 PM
It's ok..!! Thanks a lot..!! :)

If you install kubuntu-desktop you might end up with kdm and gdm running side by side.
If you find yourself unable to log in you might have to remove kdm from a command prompt and reboot.

krishnandu.sarkar
August 11th, 2010, 06:25 PM
And for uninstalling it sudo apt-get remove/purge kubuntu-desktop right??

krishnandu.sarkar
August 11th, 2010, 06:26 PM
If you install kubuntu-desktop you might end up with kdm and gdm running side by side.
If you find yourself unable to log in you might have to remove kdm from a command prompt and reboot.

lol...thanks for the warning..!!

linux18
August 11th, 2010, 06:45 PM
you can't uninstall by purging the kubuntu-desktop as it is a meta package. I should make a script for intergrating multiple DE's and removing them, I'll put it on my list of things to do.

krishnandu.sarkar
August 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Thanks...But I got the package names by googing it out.

nick_goodfate
August 11th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Hi , i ve installed ubuntu with /home in separate partition. I want to ask if i can install kubuntu in another separate partition sharing the same home partition with ubuntu(without formating /home)?

linux18
August 11th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Hi , i ve installed ubuntu with /home in separate partition. I want to ask if i can install kubuntu in another separate partition sharing the same home partition with ubuntu(without formating /home)?yes you can