PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] f-spot like video organiser?

x-shaney-x
August 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
So having transferred MANY home videos from my mobile phone, I discovered they were all stored in date organised folders and subfolders, much like f-spot and shotwell organise photos and transferring them all this way was very time consuming.

So I'm now wondering if there are any video organising apps that work in the same way as the photo ones?

Most importantly, the ability to IMPORT the videos from mass storage (not just point to the device and play from there) then list them all as thumbnails.

Ideally I want a gnome based app to do this but would settle for kde if nothing else.

I really don't want to (and won't) go the wine way.

fyo
August 11th, 2010, 05:00 PM
With the exception of f-spot, the photo organizers handle video in the way you seem to require. Shotwell is one.

x-shaney-x
August 11th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Really? Hmm, any idea what extensions shotwell supports as when I tried importing via that app it only showed the photos, it didn't detect any videos (mp4 in this case).

fyo
August 11th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Really? Hmm, any idea what extensions shotwell supports as when I tried importing via that app it only showed the photos, it didn't detect any videos (mp4 in this case).

Sorry, you are right. Shotwell and F-Spot are the only ones ;)

They are also the only ones I've come across that use that date-hierarchy directory structure... (which I personally despise).

Many photo editors (pretty much all of them except for those two) will keep whatever directory structure you have. Adding future videos to appropriately named folders would be a bit of a chore, though, if you really need them to keep the old structure.