PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need A Photo Organizer

fyo
August 11th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I'm really struggling to find a photo organizer that does the very, very few things I need it to do.

CORE needs:

#1: Folder-based albums
#2: Select and email photos with resizing
#3: View videos as well as photos

That's it. Sure, there are plenty of other features I'd LIKE, but these I NEED. Note that #1 is ALBUMS, not just a directory structure (like e.g. GThumb).

I've tried anything and everything I could find:

F-Spot: Fails #1, #2 and #3.
Shotwell: Fails #1, #2 and #3.
KPhotoAlbum: Fails #1. (CAN kind of be done, but cumbersome to the point of just not working).
Picasa: Fails #3. (Linux version)
GThumb: Fails #1 and #2. No "Catalogs" don't work well enough (and having to assign each of 20k photos one at a time through a multi-menu process is a killer).
digiKam: So close... fails #3. Sure, it is possible to select multiple photos, but there's no way to "hold" the selection, so anytime you view a photo or switch album, the selection is cleared, making it useless.
blueMarine: Won't run. 10.04 64bit, latest Sun Java (which it requires).
Gwenview: KPhotoAlbum meets digiKam. Fails #3 in exactly the same manner as digiKam... and doesn't have albums (file browser), so fails #1 as well.
flPhoto: Fails #1 and #2.

x-shaney-x
August 11th, 2010, 04:43 PM
May be a long shot here but I always used to do everything in konqueror organisation-wise.

I could have sidebar shortcuts to the photo and video albums and with it's plugin system I could play videos and music inside the same window, email anything via right-click and also do some basic editing (resizing and stuff) the same way.

This is going back to KDE 3.5 but I found it to be the best way of doing everything within a single app.

I can't bear KDE4 long enough to find out if konqueror can still be used in this way but might be worth looking at.

Indeed, I am about to try another KDE distro to try exactly this out as I am having much the same issues as you.

fyo
August 11th, 2010, 05:07 PM
May be a long shot here but I always used to do everything in konqueror organisation-wise.

I could have sidebar shortcuts to the photo and video albums and with it's plugin system I could play videos and music inside the same window, email anything via right-click and also do some basic editing (resizing and stuff) the same way.

Well, Konqueror fails both #1 and #2 of my 3 core requirements. It suffers from the same issues with selecting photos that digiKam and Gwenview do. If Konquerer worked for you, what about Gwenview doesn't?

Having the photo organizer list the folder structure is unacceptable. Not only is it "messy", it represents a dataloss risk in addition to privacy issues. This isn't just me using it, it needs to be available on multiple accounts and even with permission settings, it just doesn't work well. Bottom line, I need a photo organizer, not a file browser.

x-shaney-x
August 11th, 2010, 06:04 PM
At the time I was using konqueror in this way, gwenview was seriously lacking in certain areas.
I did use move to digikam just before switching over to gnome which did everything I needed.
I had given up trying to organise photos and videos in the same app by then.

jcolyn
August 12th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I did use move to digikam just before switching over to gnome which did everything I needed.
I had given up trying to organise photos and videos in the same app by then.

DigiKam can be used on Gnome. It will download and install as well as some of the QT/KDE componants.

x-shaney-x
August 12th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Yes I have tried it recently but the main problem I have is that it seems so cluttered to me but otherwise still about the best option.

As for the kde/qt stuff, it downloads a LOT of it, even stuff that isn't needed.
In fact installin anything kde related tends to bring in loads of uneeded stuff.
For example, something as simple as kpat, the patience card game drags in things like the kde package management stuff as well as tons of other stuff which can all be removed afterwards without affecting kpat.

jcolyn
August 12th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Yes I have tried it recently but the main problem I have is that it seems so cluttered to me but otherwise still about the best option.

One of the things I like about DigiKam is the ability to edit EXIF but I also recently downloaded and am testing Darktable..

As for the kde/qt stuff, it downloads a LOT of it, even stuff that isn't needed.
In fact installin anything kde related tends to bring in loads of uneeded stuff.
For example, something as simple as kpat, the patience card game drags in things like the kde package management stuff as well as tons of other stuff which can all be removed afterwards without affecting kpat.

I installed DigiKam on my Gnome laptop and the only unneeded stuff I find installed is Dolphin. Kpat isn't installed in fact no games were installed nor is Kpackage Management installed.

fyo
August 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
One of the things I like about DigiKam

If only digiKam had proper selection. I think what it's doing is trying to be like Konq/Dolphin, which behave in almost the same way. This behavior makes a certain amount of sense for a file browser, but is downright stupid for a photo organizer.

Why should selecting photos from multiple albums be such a pain?

Why should viewing a photo clear the stack of photos you had carefully selected?

Just makes no sense... :(

jcolyn
August 13th, 2010, 02:02 PM
Why should selecting photos from multiple albums be such a pain?

I have my own system of organizing my photos into folders..

MrWES
August 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Picasa for Linux (http://picasa.google.com/linux/)

fyo
August 13th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Picasa for Linux (http://picasa.google.com/linux/)

As per the post I started this thread with, Picasa for Linux won't do videos. That's one of my 3 core requirements. I have tried the various hacks to get Picasa to do it anyway, but they don't work on my system (with my video files).

x-shaney-x
August 13th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm wondering, would a media centre type app be any use?

I'm not really familiar with what's "on the market" right now, last time I tried anything like that was Eliza and I'm not sure if it's still in development.

Something like Enna? http://enna.geexbox.org/

Not sure what it's like on the scanned folders side of things though but I know some of these kind of media centre's are going along the "social" line of things so should support email or IM-ing photos though I my guess is they would be pretty short on resizing and editing options.

fyo
August 13th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I'm wondering, would a media centre type app be any use?

my guess is they would be pretty short on resizing and editing options.

Enna looks quite intriguing. Very "pretty" app ;). I'll give it a try tonight.

Resizing quickly becomes critical for emails, since the original photos can be quite large.

What's incredibly frustrating is that so many apps come extremely close to being perfect, yet all of them fail on a critical, core requirement.

I've never understood why F-Spot (and now Shotwell) force you to "import" all the photos into specific folders, forcing a directory structure onto the user and preventing multiple apps from accessing the same collection.

This is LINUX. Multi-user, multi-app, freedom-of-choice have been core principles for ages. Why f*ck things up with something that provides absolutely NO improvement for the user?

Just doesn't make sense...

x-shaney-x
August 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
This is LINUX. Multi-user, multi-app, freedom-of-choice have been core principles for ages. Why f*ck things up with something that provides absolutely NO improvement for the user?

It's strange, I switched to linux mainly because I was frustrated by windows and couldn't do things my way and haven't used windows at all for about 4 or 5 years.
Yet lately, I am finding I am having to settle for certain ways of doing things and have been playing with windows 7 and it seems I will have to go back to windows now to be able to do some things my way.

fyo
August 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I got some time and took Enna for a quick spin...

Interesting app... Very unique feel to it, but very obvious that it's a "young" app (first public release was early 2010).

The "menu" buttons, for example, behave in a very odd way. When you press one of them, the image to the right (big "background" image) changes, but nothing else happens, like the menu doesn't work. The big area of the screen just stays empty.

The buttons need to be DOUBLE-CLICKED, which feels very odd for a button... esp. when coupled with the partial behavior of the single click.

Enna has a preset "Photos" and "Videos" folder, but I'll be darned if I can figure out what they point to (they are just empty). It's not the Videos folder in the users home folder and the Photo-one isn't the Pictures or Pictures/Photos folder. Some kind of configuration to add preset paths (links / shortcuts) would be a welcome addition to avoid "file-browsing".

The photo-interface is quite novel. Kind of like Picasas timeline view, except more "ordered" (with all photos showing). It took a bit of guessing, though, as there are no visual cues as to how the interface works. The screen just has some photos shown and no indication of how to get more (no scroll bars, arrows or anything like that -- nor any "surfaces", "knobs", "jog dials" or other indicators). Oddly, a scroll bar is shown when dragging (like the "hand" cursor), but it fades away once you stop and is not interactive.

Somewhat annoyingly, Enna differentiates very significantly between photos and videos, presenting two completely different interfaces. The video interface is actually quite dull, just your standard "file browser" mechanics, without thumbnails or any video details. Right mouse button and left mouse button both play a video, where normally you'd expect different behavior.

Anyway, like I said initially, interesting app. It really has a lot of promise, but at version 0.4.0 it's obviously not ready for prime time.

ovidiu_b13
January 30th, 2012, 05:05 AM
I need a manager that will put all my photos in folders, by date. Which one does this, and how do I make it do it?

Rodney9
January 30th, 2012, 06:24 AM
I need a manager that will put all my photos in folders, by date. Which one does this, and how do I make it do it?

Looks like Picasa can -

http://support.google.com/picasa/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=15186

Rodney

eric-yorba
January 31st, 2012, 12:18 AM

Shotwell does this by default. If you don't like the date pattern it can be changed in the prefs.