PDA

View Full Version : Rockbox on iriver users?

Brunellus
April 4th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Are there any ubunteros out there using the Rockbox firmware on their iriver H3xx players? What's been your experience with them? Is dual-booting with the "stock" iriver firmware safe & possible?

Hamman
April 4th, 2006, 05:29 PM
Are there any ubunteros out there using the Rockbox firmware on their iriver H3xx players? What's been your experience with them? Is dual-booting with the "stock" iriver firmware safe & possible?

I don't have first hand experiences with the H300, but I've had great experiences with rockbox on my H120, and I know that quite a few people are using it on H3x0's. That said, you have to install a bootloader on the device. It's not hard if you follow the instructions, but it could potentially ruin your device if you're really unlucky.

Project 318
April 4th, 2006, 08:31 PM
I use Rockbox on my H340. It's much better than the stock firmware with all the great WPS.

There have been NO reports of Rockbox ruining a player. What Rockbox does is patch the default firmware with a bootloader. From the bootloader you can boot into Rockbox or the default firmware.

Brunellus
April 4th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I use Rockbox on my H340. It's much better than the stock firmware with all the great WPS.

There have been NO reports of Rockbox ruining a player. What Rockbox does is patch the default firmware with a bootloader. From the bootloader you can boot into Rockbox or the default firmware.
I understand it is still possible to boot into the iriver firmware to view videos--have you tried this (firmware 1.29K)?

Project 318
April 4th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I haven't used it to view videos (not my thing) but I've booted into the 1.29k firmware many times without a problem.

mozetti
April 4th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I understand it is still possible to boot into the iriver firmware to view videos--have you tried this (firmware 1.29K)?

Yep. My H340 has been running Rockbox for months (since bootloader v3), and I boot into iRiver v1.29K firmware for viewing videos.

Head over to Mistic River (http://www.misticriver.net) - that place has anything and everything you'll need for your iRiver players, including a ton of Rockbox support.