PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse CDT debug problem

harishgp
August 11th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Hi,
I know it is not the right place to ask this question, but as the eclipse forum has given no response for my query ,I turn to here.

I wanted to debug a modification of an openly available C program(If it helps, it is the SVMlight code by Joachims).

This is what I did.

1. It had a makefile in itself and so I created a makefile project, imported the files and built it.
2. Two executables were created(as expected) and I created two run configurations for them and it successfully ran.
3. But when I debug the project, it says that the "source is unavailable" . I checked the source lookup directory and it had the project folder listed .

PS: Unlike the "executable project" ,No extra files like the "debug" folder and .d files were created after the build . I assumed this was normal for makefile projects, maybe it is the issue?

How to solve this issue?? please help.

Thanks,
Harish

dwhitney67
August 11th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Someplace in your Makefile, typically where you have defined CFLAGS, you require the -g option so that symbolic information is included in the debug version of the executable.

Something like:

CFLAGS += -g

Since you are dealing with Eclipse, you will need to hunt through the compiler options to find where you may indicate that you want to build a debug version of your project.

Btw, I dislike IDEs. If you had learned to work without an IDE, you probably would've known how to resolve this issue without having to post a query on the forum. IDEs do not further one's knowledge; it stifles it.

harishgp
August 12th, 2010, 10:09 AM
@ dwhitney
Thanks.. It works now..