PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04 Won't Boot

xTLx
August 11th, 2010, 04:57 AM
Hey there. I've never used Ubuntu before and I was having some trouble booting. I've tried both installing with Wubi and also the full installation, but using either method I get the same result:

After selecting Ubuntu on the boot menu it says its finishing installing and then my laptop precedes to practically "shut off." The screen goes blank and the light on my optical mouse goes off. Only the fan runs and it begins to go very quickly. At one point I even left it on for several hours like this to make sure I wasn't being too impatient, but nothing happened.

Currently I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6033 with an i7 processor and 4GB of ram. I also only have one hard drive which may have complicated my problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sef
August 11th, 2010, 05:09 AM
How does the Live CD run?

dcollier
August 11th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Try it without the optical mount, maybe having a usb issue.

xTLx
August 11th, 2010, 05:43 AM
I've used the LiveCD also with the same result. Strangely enough I've also tried Linux Mint... The same thing happened.

dcollier, I'm a bit confused as to what you mean. Right now I'm using a laptop so I'm not exactly sure if your suggestion was relevant to my problem. could you explain?

dcollier
August 11th, 2010, 09:40 PM
Well this statement sounds as if you are using an external mouse, if so try unplugging it.

After selecting Ubuntu on the boot menu it says its finishing installing and then my laptop precedes to practically "shut off." The screen goes blank and the light on my optical mouse goes off.

xTLx
August 11th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Hey my bad, I get what your saying. I've tried that ... It didn't really help though because the monitor shut off anyways =/