PDA

View Full Version : build to order computer - where?

Screwdriver0815
August 11th, 2010, 04:07 AM
Hi guys,

as I have moved from Germany to the US, I am still adopting to everything over here.

Now I would like to buy a desktop computer and I am wondering if you could recommend an internet based supplier where I could configure my computer as I want it (without Win would be true win...)?

Maybe someone knows a computer shop for buying an individual computer in the area around Ventura?

some answers would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Steffen

Ozymandias_117
August 11th, 2010, 04:09 AM
Hi guys,

as I have moved from Germany to the US, I am still adopting to everything over here.

Now I would like to buy a desktop computer and I am wondering if you could recommend an internet based supplier where I could configure my computer as I want it (without Win would be true win...)?

Maybe someone knows a computer shop for buying an individual computer in the area around Ventura?

some answers would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
Steffen

System 76 is one:
http://www.system76.com/

Dell supposedly still ships computers with Ubuntu, but I think you have to call them to get it now... (Like that makes any sense)

Screwdriver0815
August 11th, 2010, 04:48 AM
System 76 is one:
http://www.system76.com/

Dell supposedly still ships computers with Ubuntu, but I think you have to call them to get it now... (Like that makes any sense)

thanks for the answer. System76 I know already.

Are there also companies where you actually have a configurator, where you choose all the parts of the computer?

not just "some sort" of preconfigured computer like it is at Dell.

For example:
in Germany I bought a computer and I have choosen:

1. housing
2. RAM (which and how much)
3. motherboard
4. graphics card and sound card
5. HDD
6. optical drive (yes/no and which one)
7. power supply, how many watts and so on
8. OS: yes/no

... and so on...

that's what I am looking for

tcopeland
August 11th, 2010, 05:02 AM
You can always buy the individual components yourself. For a desktop, look up Shuttle motherboards, for graphics I recommend-for everyday usage-nVidia 240 Graphics Card, Crucial RAM, Western Digital hard drives, and an intel processor. But System76 is great. I recommend the Wildebeest Performance. They're small time and they need the money.

Ozymandias_117
August 11th, 2010, 05:11 AM
You can always buy the individual components yourself. For a desktop, look up Shuttle motherboards, for graphics I recommend-for everyday usage-nVidia 240 Graphics Card, Crucial RAM, Western Digital hard drives, and an intel processor. But System76 is great. I recommend the Wildebeest Performance. They're small time and they need the money.

Gigabyte and Asus motherbords ftw :)

devondashla
August 11th, 2010, 05:17 AM
thanks for the answer. System76 I know already.

Are there also companies where you actually have a configurator, where you choose all the parts of the computer?

not just "some sort" of preconfigured computer like it is at Dell.

For example:
in Germany I bought a computer and I have choosen:

1. housing
2. RAM (which and how much)
3. motherboard
4. graphics card and sound card
5. HDD
6. optical drive (yes/no and which one)
7. power supply, how many watts and so on
8. OS: yes/no

... and so on...

that's what I am looking for

I remember you could do that by calling Dell and asking to preconfigure a computer and have them ship it to you. I would assume that you can still do that, but not too sure about it.

drawkcab
August 11th, 2010, 05:30 AM
You can search around for companies like these:

http://www.buydirectpc.com/
http://www.xoticpc.com/

cj.surrusco
August 11th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Gigabyte and Asus motherbords ftw :)

+1 those motherboards are the best with AMD CPUs.

I would go to newegg and order all the parts. It's not terribly hard to figure out compatible parts. Just look for CPU socket, DDR type, power usage of components for PSU. And physically setting it up isn't hard either.