PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] GRUB 2.0 problems with old grub

ElevenWarrior
August 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
okay, so here's my problem

I have installed, Ubuntu 10.4, Windows 7, and backtrack 4.
I have to install them in this order (windows, backtrack, then ubuntu) otherwise it woln't work.
well backtrack released a new distro so I have to reinstall it.
if I do, what happens is backtrack 4 grub overwrites the 10.4 grub, but the backtrack grub (1.95 I think) will NOT boot into ubuntu.

So basically, I need to know how to (after reinstalling backtrack 4) to tell the machine to use the ubuntu grub, (2.0) instead of the backtrack grub. (older verison)
Any ideas?

drs305
August 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM
If you want Ubuntu's Grub2 to control things, reinstall Grub2 from the Ubuntu Live CD:

sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sdX

For example, if your Ubuntu install is on sda5, the commands would be:

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda

This will install Ubuntu's grub on the MBR of the device you designate (example: sda) and write the grub files to the Ubuntu partition (example sda5).

Grub2 should recognize your other OS's. If it doesn't, run "sudo update-grub" after booting into your normal Ubuntu OS.

ElevenWarrior
August 12th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I tried doing those steps you said, but it didn't work.
I installed grub to the right part of the drive, but at next start up, the old grub was still there.
It did, however, say I was installing the GRUB to only that partition and not the MBR, which it said was a bad idea.
still stuck,

oldfred
August 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
You installed to the partition not the drive. Drives are sda, sdb etc. Partitions are sda1, sda2, sdb1 etc.

Redo drs305's instructions but the last entry does not have a number.

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt <--- number has to be your Ubuntu partition.
sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt /dev/sda <--no number at end