PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logon box not appearing.. Mouse pointer flickering..

arronpitman
August 10th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Hello All,

I've got a dell optiplex gx620 running 10.04. I just upgraded it from 9.04 (through 9.10 first).

The reason I upgraded was becasue I had some problems after installing VLC. Once I'd done this my desktop stopped loading up... in 9.04 I just got the desktop background appearing and top and and bottom toolbars + the mouse pointer all flickering and egg timing. Now in 10.04 I get pretty much the same thing, just the mouse pointer and the occasional white box in the centre of the screen as if it's trying to display a logon box for me but it just can't quite get there... (it used to auto logon).

So, being a noob, I figure I'll just upgrade and hope that that sorts things out... so here I am a whole two distributions down the line still with the same problem.

I've had a look around the xorg.conf and found that everything is pretty much default, I did change the device from fx***something*** to vesa in a random attempt to fix things. No dice... same issue. I then had a look in the x log and didn't really see any errors appearing.

So I am now wondering if the prolem is X or if it's something else? Trouble is I don't really know where to start...

Any ideas?

Thanks, Arron...

ps. long time reader first time posting... be kind.

arronpitman
August 11th, 2010, 04:54 PM
Bump