PDA

View Full Version : Job offer has me going to Windows

slooksterpsv
August 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hey all,

I'll run Ubuntu in a VM, but I'm going to have to go back to Windows for the time being. The reason is I have a job offer that I want to take up, working remotely from home and doing technical support which requires Windows to be running on the machine.

So I'm backing up all my data and getting ready to reformat. Ubuntu is still going to be on the rest of my computers, but not this one.

I'll still be on the forums here, just want to see what people think about all this.

Thanks,

Shawn B.

RiceMonster
August 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Ok.

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Why not run Windows in the VM?

slooksterpsv
August 10th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Why not run Windows in the VM?

Cause they need to validate my computer specs and Windows 7 in a VM doesn't work too well.

Tristam Green
August 10th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Congratulations on drawing a paycheck!

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I hope at least the paycheck is good. :p

walkerk
August 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Don't ask what we think about it. I work on an enterprise team that engineers and implements Microsoft technology to include Active Directory, Exchange, SCCM, SQL, etc. We also pay for NetApp and Cisco which come with a huge price...

I am a dedicated Linux (sidux) user but my work requires using MS products. To be honest, I do not wish to be a linux administrator because large enterprises as utilizing MS (I know some aren't but the majority are... that's just a fact). I deal with this every day at work so I enjoy something different at home. I very much enjoy the spirit of the open source community...

mamamia88
August 10th, 2010, 08:39 PM
kvm switch only use windows when you have too. that's what i would do

LowSky
August 10th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Dual boot?

TeoBigusGeekus
August 10th, 2010, 08:43 PM
If it makes you feel better, I'm forever stuck with at least 1 windows pc as an engineer.

angryfirelord
August 10th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hey all,

I'll run Ubuntu in a VM, but I'm going to have to go back to Windows for the time being. The reason is I have a job offer that I want to take up, working remotely from home and doing technical support which requires Windows to be running on the machine.

So I'm backing up all my data and getting ready to reformat. Ubuntu is still going to be on the rest of my computers, but not this one.

I'll still be on the forums here, just want to see what people think about all this.

Thanks,

Shawn B.
First, congratulations on getting the job! I know in this job climate that things are a bit tough on everybody, so you should be patting yourself on the back for that!

As for Ubuntu, unless you need Windows on the whole hard drive, you can always run a dual-boot setup. If that's not an option, you can always look for another computer. There are always people selling old clunkers on craigslist, so if you don't mind a little maintenance, you can find a computer that's a couple years old on the cheap side.

Dragonbite
August 10th, 2010, 08:49 PM
What is there to think about? It's just an operating system and you aren't abandoning it altogether, just on that machine right?

Congratz on the job, since you said it was one you wanted.

I'm using Windows for work, not much choice when the company gives me the laptop and I'm doing work for ASP.NET and it isn't Mono compatible (yet.. I'm working on it ;) )

computerkid2000
August 10th, 2010, 08:52 PM
why not get another computer from a pawnshop? (i mean after your first paycheck or something) then you can reinstall ubuntu on your other computer

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 10th, 2010, 08:57 PM
I got a job offer that probably requires that I use Windows at home too. I'm dual-booting now. At least I have an excuse to play my games again (windows).

forrestcupp
August 10th, 2010, 09:06 PM

Wow! You're screwed, man. If you even run one of your machines on Windows, you've polluted the purity of your FOSS philosophy, and it's nothing but wishy-washy, meaningless hypocrisy. You can't ride the fence on this one. Either you're in, or you're out. You need to either not accept this job, or install Windows on all of your machines so as not to give GNU/Linux a bad image. I would strongly suggest not accepting your job so that you can live with a clear conscience. If you decide to do the wrong thing, though, you probably shouldn't still hang out in these forums.

:lolflag:

Just joking!

Operating systems are tools to help us accomplish work or pleasure.

Dustin2128
August 10th, 2010, 09:22 PM
who cares? you can just use the windows computer or partition for work and ubuntu for everything else. Its not like its a one or the other decision. But seriously, why not dual boot? I can't imagine a partition for tech support requiring more than 10-15GBs.
Also, why would they need to validate your computer specs for a tech support job? Surely that is more dependent on skill/knowledge/google than computing power or type.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 10th, 2010, 09:33 PM
who cares? you can just use the windows computer or partition for work and ubuntu for everything else. Its not like its a one or the other decision. But seriously, why not dual boot? I can't imagine a partition for tech support would requiring more than 10-15GBs.
Also, why would they need to validate your computer specs for a tech support job? Surely that is more dependent on skill/knowledge/google than computing power or type.

A lot of companies want to use some kind of tool to check if your pc has adequate security to be on the same network as them. This can include checking the type and name of the antivirus software on your computer, the firewall, etc. These tools require windows whether it actually makes your computer more secure or NOT. It's all about control. His employer wants control over his work environment. Businesses use Windows for workstations. It's the way things are.

Zzl1xndd
August 11th, 2010, 02:53 AM
I don't normally work from home but for the times I do, work requires Either Windows or OSX. I have a couple of Macs in the house so I normally just use them. At the office though its all Windows.

handy
August 11th, 2010, 02:58 AM
Hey all,

Thanks,

Shawn B.

Photography makes me use OS X (yuk!) & Adobe (finger down throat to both Apple & Adobe company policies, but they make world leading products).

We do what we have to do to get the job done.

Timmer1240
August 11th, 2010, 03:10 AM
Congratulations on your new job I hope it goes well for you!

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 11th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Shawn,

I hope the job works out. Use whatever OS and applications you need to use for the job.

I use a lot of of stuff for my job that I wouldn't choose for my own personal use. It is the companies' choice what they what to use. I may disagree with the company about their choices; however, it is their architecture I am supporting, not mine.

If the company requires a specific OS and applications in order for you to do the job, they may provide you with a computer and the OS/applications.

Anyway, I wish you the best.

Kingsley
August 11th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Disregard Ubuntu.
http://i.imgur.com/wUAOnm.jpg
Acquire Currency.

tgalati4
August 11th, 2010, 04:34 AM
"I don't often work from home. But when I do, I drink XX Dos Equis."

Glucklich
August 11th, 2010, 04:40 AM
I got a job offer that probably requires that I use Windows at home too. I'm dual-booting now. At least I have an excuse to play my games again (windows).

Yeah, lots of good games coming out soon. I don't have Windows installed, but I'm seriously considering bringing it back. Dual-boot most likely. Because I can't wait for the new Diablo to come out and have my trip down to memory lane... Aaaaah, those were the days when gaming rocked so ******* much.

smellyman
August 11th, 2010, 05:32 AM
Meh. Most of us who work in IT have to work with Windows most of time. In my case 100% of the time. After 13+ years working with Windows and MS products I am quite fed up. That is why I am so into Linux the last two years or so. It has been a breath of fresh air and the only thing that keeps me in IT.....

A few, the lucky, get to work with Linux as a career.

scouser73
August 13th, 2010, 02:07 AM
All the best with the job and to be honest if it means having to revert back to windows then so be it. With the recession still in out minds and people losing their jobs left, right & centre then you should grasp the nettle and benefit from it.

Once again, good luck in your new job and all the best.