PDA

View Full Version : Motorola F3 - An Unix-Philosophy friendly CellPhone.

Ioky
August 10th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I recently washed my phone. It is a very nice Samsung Phone, nothing fancy, but come with great quality and feels. But sense it is washed, and no longer function, as a phone. I decided I need to get a new phone.

All the sudden, an odd old idea come in mind. "how about a phone that just make and receive call and nothing else." At first, I don't think such thing even exist in today's AllinOne-ism society. But I give it a try anyway.

After a half hour googling. I saw a very nice, phone liking phone. (some of the phone doesn't even looks like phone.) on Google's image page. I click on it, it lead me to a info page about that phone. After few second of reading it, I know this could really be the ONE phone, I have been looking for.

The Phone is call Motorola F3 known as MOTOFONE.

Here is some very interesting Fact about this phone.

- It is the first and only one phone that use E ink on the Market.

- It Has Only Six Function: Call, Receive Call, Text, Receive Text, Clock, Alarm. That is it. No more No less.

- List of advance setting that need to set with code. (More about that later)

- It has two internal antennas, for maximize reception.

- Extremely Long Battery Life. 16.5 Days stand by time, I think.

- Great quality, and engineering. It is swear and DUST resistant. It will survived with MANY extreme physical impacts.

- !! ONLY $20 !!

here is a wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_F3

You can get this phone at like many places like Newegg, Buy, Amazon, etc.

This Phone is totally the coolest phone I have ever see. It actually come with many feature I have in mind when I was looking for phone but never exist anywhere else. And it is totally fit right into the Unix-Philosophy. It does one thing, and did it well. It is a Great Phone, but nothing else.

I personally, don't need to carry millions of function with me, and kind of a lazy one who only do like one thing per days. I am an Artist who paint and do photography, as well as an Architect, as my profession. Often, most of the tools I need to use is simple and not really user friendly. Yet, they are meant to be use by professional. It is only about how well it can get the job done. Which makes me in love with the Unix-Philosophy when it come to computer.

The Setting that use code is simply the best. You just key in the code, and the setting is done, it will show up at no way, completely hidden, and no one can screw it up. I mean why you need a lay of lay of menu. you just type in the number to enable and disable features/setting. it is kind of like use a Vim blinding App.

Do I mean the Motorola F3 is perfectly for what it is? NO, it clearly has room for improve. Maybe a little bit higher resolution E ink screen so, it can be easy to see text, and send text. It is very Limited on texting as now. Luckily I hardly do any meaningful texting. So I can live with that. I really don't mind if that mean lost a little bit of stand by life. And it seem can't pick up the time from the phone tower, so you have to set it manual, if Battery run out totally, you might need to reset it. hardly happen, but can happen.

After all, It is what it really is. there are some little buggy things, that not everyone can live with. It can really be a perfect phone, with just slight enhancements.

It is not like I am the kind of person, who don't like high tech stuff and just use what is enough. It is only Natural for technology to getting better and better, and more available technology. The point is what technology you choose to use for what purpose. Using the wrong technology for the problem will only create more problems. sometime You just has to see what is actually "COOL". Like Touch Screen isn't the solution for every. eg: it would be stupid have a touch screen keyboard. However, the model M keyboard is still one of the best keyboard exist, which is like made like 20 years ago.

These Phone aren't Open Source. But It would be wonderful, if there is a Open Source version for this, so People can improve it as they please.

Dragonbite
August 10th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Looks like a pretty cool phone.

I can't see my current one for the life of me in ANY sunlight!

My previous one, which I gave my wife, is a good phone. It helps that it's solid, shock-proof and waterproof!

drawkcab
August 11th, 2010, 05:45 AM
I like it.