PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] what files should be in a 10.04 image download?

TXbirder
August 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
I have downloaded 10.04 via BitTorrent. I have burned it to a CD. The various download instructions advise me to check the contents of the CD. If there is only Ubuntu, I'm missing some important files.

I want to make a live CD. I can't make the new CD open. I looked at the contents and the folders are: dists, doc, install, isolinux, pix, pool, preseed, ubuntu, chromupgrade, md5sum.txt, README.diskdefines.

Am I missing something? I tried changing BIOS to boot from the disk but that only offered an installation, not a LiveCD.

John

ajgreeny
August 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
What is the name of the iso file you downloaded? It sounds as if you did not get the ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso but maybe the alternate .iso or server, or something else. If it was downloaded by torrent the iso file should be a good one, but perhaps simply the wrong one for a live CD.

If it appears to be the correct iso file, boot to it again but after using the power-on button, keep hitting any key and you should get a menu where you can choose to check the CD (or media, I can't remember the exact word used). If it shows any errors after the check, reburn the CD at a lower speed.

TXbirder
August 11th, 2010, 12:32 AM
ajgreeny,

I downloaded the version you suggested, made a new CD. I still can't make it work as a LiveCD. When I boot the computer from the CD, it just wants to install 10.04.

When I try to open it in Ubuntu, it just displays the files on the CD but doesn't start 10.04.

John

fea2k
August 11th, 2010, 07:39 AM
ajgreeny,

I downloaded the version you suggested, made a new CD. I still can't make it work as a LiveCD. When I boot the computer from the CD, it just wants to install 10.04.

When I try to open it in Ubuntu, it just displays the files on the CD but doesn't start 10.04.

John
http://image163.poco.cn/mypoco/myphoto/20100811/14/5555945320100811142040091.jpg
maybe when you click "try ubuntu 10.04 LTS",it can work as a liveCD.

TXbirder
August 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks but the Install screen I get has language choices on it but no buttons labeled Try Ubuntu... or Install Ubuntu.....

Maybe I need to download a third version and make another CD.

John

howefield
August 11th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks but the Install screen I get has language choices on it but no buttons labeled ...Try Ubuntu... Install Ubuntu.....

So what do you see after you select your language ?

TXbirder
August 11th, 2010, 07:48 PM
After language selection, I see Setting the clock, Where are you?,
Keyboard layout, Prepare disk space, Who are you?

The next page is for installation so I stop there. Nowhere is there a LiveCD selection button.

John

ajgreeny
August 11th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Check the md5sum of the iso file you have against the listing here:-
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuHashes
I'm not sure how you do it in windows, but it can certainly be done.

TXbirder
August 12th, 2010, 01:19 AM
I went to that screen and then How to MD5SUB. In the terminal I typed cd download_directory as instructed and got: No such file or directory exists.

Think I'll check Ebay to see if any U10.04 cds are on sale. They're usually cheap and faster than waiting on a copy from Cannonical

John

howefield
August 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Just a thought..

When you first boot with the CD, do you see some graphics at the bottom of the screen, one looks like a keyboard, the other like a person (I think).

When you see those graphics, are you pressing the enter key ?