PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation crashes every time

groovy354
August 10th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I've tried installing Ubuntu 10.4 and 9.10, but every time it crashes all of a sudden and says that ubiquity closed unexpectedly... What to do?

phillw
August 10th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Hi,

the first thing to try is to run the self test on the CD's you burned. (Burning at 4X speed, or below is recommended).

Regards,

Phill.

groovy354
August 10th, 2010, 07:26 PM
I've run integrity test on that cd and it returned no errors. Besides, I've installed Ubuntu from the very same CD on other pc and it worked just fine

dougalkerr
August 10th, 2010, 07:41 PM
What have you got connected to your system?

phillw
August 10th, 2010, 07:42 PM
There were some bugs reported for this error, but they're marked fixed and your installation CD does work on other computers. The only other recomendations I've come accross is swapping the CD Reader that you are using, some readers do not like iso's burned on readers. Cleaning the cd lens is also an option (something along the lines of http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-99761-CD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B00006B8KA although I got one for 1 GBP from a bargain shop here in the UK works just as well). I couldn't find any mention of it being video card / driver issues, but that does not say it could not be (nomodeset may help there).

Another possible solution would be to try either the alternate CD or a net-boot option (mini-iso). Those methods do not use Ubiquity.

Regards,

Phill.

dougalkerr
August 10th, 2010, 07:51 PM
You could try Xubuntu as well. I have just installed it onto an old Pentium 4 machine and have managed to upgrade to 9.04. This is as far as I dare because it crashes at 9.10 and 10.04.

It may have something to do with the computer architecture and the versions you are trying simply will not install for you.

I got cd read errors too when I tried to install 9.10 and 10.04 from CD.
I install 8.10 from CD without any problem and upgraded via Synaptic to 9.04. I tried the upgrade route through Synaptic for 9.10 which worked if I remember correctly but, it wouldn't upgrade to 10.04 for some reason.

Oh, well at least the old PC can be used for browsing and emails and office work if needs be. Not quick enough for my foto work though.

Don't be too disheartened. If you can get things to work with slightly older versions of Linux and you are not missing anything really necessary then you will still have a working operating system for free... yipeee!!

phillw
August 10th, 2010, 08:25 PM
You could try Xubuntu as well. I have just installed it onto an old Pentium 4 machine.... You may want to have a quick look at Lubuntu
A Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 Mb RAM is probably a bottom-line configuration that may yield slow yet usable system with Lubuntu. It should be possible to install and run Lubuntu with less memory, but the result will likely not be suitable for practical use. Details on Lubuntu are in my Signature.

Regards,

Phill.