PDA

View Full Version : Don't you miss old games?

TheNerdAL
August 10th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I miss Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. :( I miss my Nintendo 64. I have a new one but it's just not the same, lol.:P I remember being unbeatable. :P

What game consoles and/or games do you miss?

Bachstelze
August 10th, 2010, 12:50 PM
>old games
>Nintendo 64

http://itsuki.fkraiem.org/stuff/lol.jpg

Spice Weasel
August 10th, 2010, 12:52 PM
>old games
>Nintendo 64

This.

MAME and DOSBox are amazing.

Grenage
August 10th, 2010, 12:56 PM
Lol.

Games like the original monkey island, absolutely. The ZX Spectrum and Amiga had some good games, but I think the age of Monkey Island is where it picked up for me.

I played Beneath a Steel Sky a while ago (Now free, and available from synaptic). It's lost nothing.

RiceMonster
August 10th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I was playing wolfenstein 3D in DOSBox the other day. Awesome stuff.

ubunterooster
August 10th, 2010, 01:47 PM
PacMan and ET on my Atari

Åtta
August 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
>old games
>Nintendo 64

I felt pretty much the same as I was reading the OP, but I didn't want to be disrespectful. :$

I do miss the NES and the SNES though. But it's not like they've gone anywhere. It's just that there aren't all that many games being made in that same spirit anymore.

LowSky
August 10th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I was playing wolfenstein 3D in DOSBox the other day. Awesome stuff.

I have Wolfenstein 3D on my PS3. It brings back early childhood memories.

On that note I miss the old Doom games. I remember people complaining how violent they were, yet I think killing demons from hell is a lot better than stealing cars and shooting random people on the street a la GTA.

Getting real nostalgic I miss my Atari 2600 and my original NES.

roachk71
August 10th, 2010, 03:14 PM
I remember going to a neighbor's house every few days or so to play some of the many classic Commodore 64 games he owned. Among our favorites back then were the Archon series, M.U.L.E. and a few dungeon-based games I now can't remember the titles for.

How I miss the original Breadbin. I have VICE, but the emulators tend to have CPU jams and other glitches in many games. :|

Frogs Hair
August 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Shivers II Harvest of souls and the 7th Guest were my first games and they were old when I got them. I could run them on XP but not windows 7 .

RiceMonster
August 10th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I have Wolfenstein 3D on my PS3. It brings back early childhood memories.

On that note I miss the old Doom games. I remember people complaining how violent they were, yet I think killing demons from hell is a lot better than stealing cars and shooting random people on the street a la GTA.

Getting real nostalgic I miss my Atari 2600 and my original NES.

Doom II is still the best FPS in my mind. I'm not really into the modern ones.

samalex
August 10th, 2010, 03:36 PM
PacMan and ET on my Atari

ET on the Atari???? Are you kidding :-D The game was so bad a majority of them are in a landfill in New Mexico.

My personal fave on the Atari anyway was Yar's Revenge. It had an awesome comic and back story that came with the game. Also Star Raiders was neat because it had a keypad that add a neat angle to the game.

Sam

mamamia88
August 10th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I miss playing Golden Eye and NBA Jam with my buddies.

gnomeuser
August 10th, 2010, 03:47 PM
I've recently started using gog.com, it is a great service and they have a lot of the games I remember playing when I was young(er).

The only problem outside lacking Linux support (wine plays most of the games on there) is that they make it so damn easy to use and the run great sales all the time so you end up buying a lot of games. No worries though they are very reasonably priced.

CharlesA
August 10th, 2010, 04:00 PM
I've recently started using gog.com, it is a great service and they have a lot of the games I remember playing when I was young(er).

The only problem outside lacking Linux support (wine plays most of the games on there) is that they make it so damn easy to use and the run great sales all the time so you end up buying a lot of games. No worries though they are very reasonably priced.

+1 to that.

I've got FO1, FO2 and FO Tactics from there and then all run reasonably well.

gnomeuser
August 10th, 2010, 04:20 PM
+1 to that.

I've got FO1, FO2 and FO Tactics from there and then all run reasonably well.

Fallout 1 and 2 are without a doubt some of the best games ever made. I wish dearly someone would go back to doing what it did so well. Fallout 3 was just to.. FPS to feel right though the world was pretty to look at.

Perfect Storm
August 10th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Good ol' Dos games :)
Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Kyrandia Ghost'n'Goblins etc. :popcorn:
I still got a lot of the dos games with box and everything lying around.

Happy times.

Now I use Dosbox to play these games.

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/157617/0/DBGLpre.png (http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/157616/0/DBGL.png)

Simian Man
August 10th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Jeez first I see Pearl Jam on a list of "classic rock" bands and then somebody picks Smash Bros 64 as their example of an "old game". Way to make me feel old :(.

Kazade
August 10th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I've recently rediscovered my childhood when it comes to games. I'm 26 so the games I used to play were on the Master System and Mega Drive, and some PC games. I recently bought a Mega Drive from Ebay and all the Sonic games (I was a Sonic fanboy when I was younger) and they are still awesome. Today I started playing the Master System version of Sonic 1 on an emulator and have found it surprisingly addictive. I can feel more Ebay purchases coming on ;)

On the PC front, the original Doom and Quake are awesome, still.

nubimax
August 10th, 2010, 05:09 PM
I guess no one remembers lunar lander played in basic. my brother in-law could land it every time.
M.

CharlesA
August 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Fallout 1 and 2 are without a doubt some of the best games ever made. I wish dearly someone would go back to doing what it did so well. Fallout 3 was just to.. FPS to feel right though the world was pretty to look at.

I kinda like FO3 compared to FO1, but I think it's mostly due to being either first or third-person and real time.

JDShu
August 10th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I felt pretty much the same as I was reading the OP, but I didn't want to be disrespectful. :$

I do miss the NES and the SNES though. But it's not like they've gone anywhere. It's just that there aren't all that many games being made in that same spirit anymore.

I felt the same too, but I'm more depressed that something that I consider pretty new is supposed to be old.

On the other hand, at least we consider NES and SNES old, unlike the ancients who still dream about their Atari consoles :D

My oldest favorites were Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time and also the Simpsons arcade game. Only thing I used to play in Chuck E Cheese.

forrestcupp
August 10th, 2010, 08:47 PM
I miss Super Smash Bros. for the Nintendo 64. :( I miss my Nintendo 64. I have a new one but it's just not the same, lol.:P I remember being unbeatable. :P

Anything 3D or even 2.5D is not old. Pong, Space Invaders, the original Donkey Kong, and Pac-Man are old games. The original Zork was a good old game, too. But I guess N64 is nostalgia for the young guys.

I guess no one remembers lunar lander played in basic. my brother in-law could land it every time.
M.
Lunar Lander was awesome. I liked Choplifter a lot, too.

I used to like the Gateway to Apshai games a lot.

zaazz
August 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I miss the excitement and magical feeling of being completely immersed into a virtual or 3rd console realm. Even though the graphics keep getting better these days those old sensations are getting less powerful and shorter lived. I'm still not sure if its me or the games.

Ctrl-Alt-F1
August 10th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I don't think that new games are of lower quality, only that we have reached a point of saturation, so that something has to be totally mind-blowing in order to be considered good. Also many of us that were kids when we played these old games, will by nature of being older now, not find most games quite as captivating.

KdotJ
August 10th, 2010, 09:28 PM
Sonic on the Sega Master system. I loved playing that, with my sister when we were around 5 years old (about 16 years a go lol)

I also miss playing the old Windows games, in the BOWEP package (Best Of Windows Entertainment). Thankfully, I have found "tileworld" in Linux which is just like "Chip's Challenge" :D

schreber
August 10th, 2010, 09:43 PM
- Space Harrier & Altered Beast (Sega Master System)
- Bruce Lee (C64)
- Bonk (Turbografx 16)
- Mario Brothers (NES)
- Misc. Atari 2600/VCS games

They don't make games like they use to.

KegHead
August 10th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Hi!

I wish i could find a roulette game.

Anyone?

Thanks!

KegHead

ubunterooster
August 10th, 2010, 09:56 PM
ET on the Atari???? Are you kidding :-D The game was so bad a majority of them are in a landfill in New Mexico.

My personal fave on the Atari anyway was Yar's Revenge. It had an awesome comic and back story that came with the game. Also Star Raiders was neat because it had a keypad that add a neat angle to the game.

Sam
That gives a good part of the appeal.

Cabalbl4
August 10th, 2010, 10:04 PM
I don't miss them. I play them ^^

SNES, DosBox and esp. GENS are making my days :KS

Groucho Marxist
August 10th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I miss the Batman and Robin Activity Center for Windows. Being the hardcore Batman fan that I am, I played this when it first came out and still have it in my CD binder.

The fact that every single actor from the animated series got involved with it is also enjoyable if you loved the show. Even when you lose, nothing is more satisfying than to hear Mark Hamill's Joker say "Try harder... but don't hurt yourself" before cutting in with eerie laughter.

dacman48
August 10th, 2010, 10:15 PM

ill take u on, well see who is and who isnt unbeatable ;P

DrMelon
August 10th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Ah yes. I still have my ZX Spectrum kicking around somewhere. It still works you know.

Phrea
August 10th, 2010, 10:21 PM
I never was much of a gamer, but I do miss certain games, like Wolfenstein, Doom and Blockout.
And some later games, like Tomb Raider and Quake.

I was one of those types who used a computer, in order to use a computer.

linux18
August 10th, 2010, 10:27 PM
I miss fallout 3 on my ps3, I've been so busy lately I haven't been able to enjoy slo-mo headshots; I don't even know if my tv still works :)

BuffaloX
August 10th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Good ol' Dos games :)
Master of Magic, Master of Orion, Kyrandia Ghost'n'Goblins etc. :popcorn:
I still got a lot of the dos games with box and everything lying around.

Happy times.

Now I use Dosbox to play these games.

Kyrandia was awesome, amazing graphics, great humour, and overall great concept, but did you actually solve the labyrinth in Kyrandia? Man that was boring.

I think I understand what OP means, good games in the old days were almost like magic.
Today games are actually better, but some of the magic has gone, because so many technological barriers have been broken long ago.
Also I find there is fewer artistic expressive games, because most games feature natural looking graphics instead, which is actually a bit boring.

DosBOX is cool, just completed Clouds of Xeen with it, maybe I'l go for Darkside of Xenn next.

cammin
August 10th, 2010, 10:38 PM
Any of the 3D games on the Sega Master System. (3D shutter glasses in the 80's!)

Nothing like playing Missile Defense 3D and trying to dodge missles coming at you. Of course, due to the way the glasses work, the missles would change course and head straight for you, even if you tried to get out of the way.

Dustin2128
August 10th, 2010, 11:54 PM
master of orion 1 and 2. Most excellent turn based strategy games ever. G-NOME isn't really old yet, but its amazing what they could do with so few system resources.

Wrathful_Pixie
August 10th, 2010, 11:58 PM

Haha. You are younger than I am.

Sometimes I miss some of the old role playing games for NES and SNES. I do no really remember Atari.

redfox1160
August 11th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I miss playing Sonic, Vectorman, Streets of Rage, and lots of other games on from my Sega Genesis. I miss playing wolfenstein 3D and DOOM on my IBM PS/1

Onyros
August 11th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I loved my Speccy, still have it, and it's still working as well. 48K, incredible how much they managed to cram into such little memory.

forrestcupp
August 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
- Space Harrier & Altered Beast (Sega Master System)
- Bruce Lee (C64)
- Bonk (Turbografx 16)
- Mario Brothers (NES)
- Misc. Atari 2600/VCS games

They don't make games like they use to.

Space Harrier was one of those awesome pioneer games.

Bruce Lee was a great game. I made it to what I think is the end of the game. There was a room, I think it had a Buddha in it, and it looked like there was an exit to another room, but it was so high that it was impossible to get to. It seemed like it had to be the end of the game, but it was a pretty dumb ending. Great game other than that, though. I liked Bruce Lee, and also Way of the Exploding Fist II. I got so far in that game that it just started back over at the beginning.

Are you talking about the original Mario Brothers that only had one screen, or Super Mario Bros?

Dsafire
August 12th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Lol.

Games like the original monkey island, absolutely.

Grenage, you did know the Monkey Island games have been re-released with an option for updated graphics, right? It doesnt like WINE much though.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

Grenage
August 12th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Grenage, you did know the Monkey Island games have been re-released with an option for updated graphics, right? It doesnt like WINE much though.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/monkeyisland/

I knew that the first one had been, but that was all. I saw a friend playing the revamped version; it's cute that one can toggle between the old and new graphics.

"How appropriate, you fight like a cow!"

schreber
August 12th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Space Harrier was one of those awesome pioneer games.

Bruce Lee was a great game. I made it to what I think is the end of the game. There was a room, I think it had a Buddha in it, and it looked like there was an exit to another room, but it was so high that it was impossible to get to. It seemed like it had to be the end of the game, but it was a pretty dumb ending. Great game other than that, though. I liked Bruce Lee, and also Way of the Exploding Fist II. I got so far in that game that it just started back over at the beginning.

Are you talking about the original Mario Brothers that only had one screen, or Super Mario Bros?
The original actually from 1983. I know there is not a lot to it but for the time it was a fun game.

Tombgeek
August 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM
As a sixteen year old teenager, I can not say I have had enough experience when it comes to retro gaming, but I do have my fair share of experience.
Personally, my favourite console, to this day, remains the original PlayStation. The controller was strong and actually functioned well, the games were absolutely brilliant (well, some were).
I miss many games on my old PS1:

-Tomb Raider
-Tomb Raider II
-Silent Hill
-Metal Slug X

But of course, I do have my favourite old PC games:

-DOOM
-Broken Sword
-Quake II
-Half-Life

Of course, I can not compare to the rest of you guys. Most of you experienced gaming at its best during the 80s and 90s, I wasn't even born when DOOM was released.

Kazade
August 12th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I wasn't even born when DOOM was released.

I feel old :(

pookiebear
August 12th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Blue Max
Zaxxon
KAreteka
Lode Runner
Pitfall (I could fast run this in under 10 minutes)
Tecmo Bowl I
PitStop 1 and 2 (had black thumb from this one, partial paralysis)
Pole Position
Campaign Manager
Doom
Wolf3d
Commander Keen
Crash Bandicoot
Counter-Strike beta 1-6.6 (hated the retail version)
Bruce Lee
River Raid (got the t-shirt) 6 hour gaming session
Quake 1 QuakeWorld mod (that became team fortress 1 and 2)
Quake2 (grappling hook FTW)

Some of my favs.

Tombgeek
August 12th, 2010, 05:10 PM

Haha, don't...remember, life only begins at <insert age here>

forrestcupp
August 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Of course, I can not compare to the rest of you guys. Most of you experienced gaming at its best during the 80s and 90s, I wasn't even born when DOOM was released.In the 80s, I dreamed about the possibility of games like Doom. :)

Blue Max
Zaxxon
KAreteka
Lode Runner
Pitfall (I could fast run this in under 10 minutes)
Tecmo Bowl I
PitStop 1 and 2 (had black thumb from this one, partial paralysis)
Pole Position
Campaign Manager
Doom
Wolf3d
Commander Keen
Crash Bandicoot
Counter-Strike beta 1-6.6 (hated the retail version)
Bruce Lee
River Raid (got the t-shirt) 6 hour gaming session
Quake 1 QuakeWorld mod (that became team fortress 1 and 2)
Quake2 (grappling hook FTW)

Some of my favs.All awesome. Have you ever seen Raid Over Moscow?

aaaantoine
August 12th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Quake 2 had a grappling hook? o_O Must've been a mod.

But speaking of mods, I was a big fan of the Jailbreak mod, where if you died you would respawn in your opponent's jail, and have to either escape or be freed. These days the top result for "Jailbreak" is a Wikipedia article on iOS Jailbreaking. -_- Edit: Ah, here's a link that talks about Jailbreak! (http://planetquake.gamespy.com/View.php?view=MOTW.Detail&id=59)

There are some awesome old games, but at the same time, a handful of the games listed are inflated due to Nostalgia Factor.

For example, E.T. on the Atari? I was 4 when I first tried playing that game. I like to think that game taught me to expect challenge & frustration from games. :P Also, the majority of copies wound up in land fills partly because there were more copies of E.T. produced than there were Ataris.

ubunterooster
August 12th, 2010, 05:45 PM
For example, E.T. on the Atari? I was 4 when I first tried playing that game. I like to think that game taught me to expect challenge & frustration from games. :P Also, the majority of copies wound up in land fills partly because there were more copies of E.T. produced than there were Ataris.
It's not that bad

aaaantoine
August 12th, 2010, 05:53 PM
It's not that bad

Oh, there have been worse games, I know.

zcal
August 12th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Haven't posted in the forums for quite a while, but I just had to when I saw this thread. Did anyone play Z (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z_(video_game)) for DOS/Windows 95? It's really not that old ('96), but it was definitely an underdog. Lots of personality and the matches are quick enough that you can play without having to dedicate hours to the game. How many other games proclaim "You suck!" when your fort is getting seiged and losing is imminent?

Bronco24
August 12th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Some of them still available:

http://www.retrogames.com/

kaldor
August 12th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Ugh. I grew up in the SNES/NES era when everyone had a freakout when they saw the Nintendo 64's "realism". I'm starting to feel way too old now :(

Doom... Quake 1 and 2.. Jedi Knight 1 + Mysteries of the Sith. Not extremely old, but would be placed in "classic" at least I think. I adored most NES mainstream titles. Asteroids on the Atari 2600 still makes me swoon.

Not overly old, but ever since these games, my gaming life never progressed beyond 2003:

-Quake III Arena

-Jedi Knight 2

-Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (holy crap best online action game whether you like Starwars or not)

We need more games that focus more on fun than on realism + graphics. Modern games have amazing graphics and great realism.. but isn't a video game supposed to be based around fun? :)

BigSilly
August 12th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Funny, but in my mid to late thirties, I find I'm not so bothered about gaming as I used to be. I grew up in the Atari/Coleco and ZX Spectrum age (the arcade Kung Fu Master was my big game), with my passion probably reaching a peak during the Megadrive/SNES era. I've bought many consoles since then, but it's just not been the same for me, and I've had about ooh, 5 years or more slowly admitting that fact to myself. I like to occasionally play the retro emulators, and I keep Windows around for Pro Evolution Soccer (despite being only a casual footie fan), and I also like the odd indie game on Linux too which spikes my interest here and there. I've been playing And Yet It MOVES! (http://www.andyetitmoves.net/) recently and it's extremely good fun. Reminds me of the 16 bit days.

I do have a Wii, because I can share the games with my daughter who is of course now big into Nintendo, but I find the Xbox 360 and PS3 seriously intimidating and the online setup very off putting. There's the PC, but you've got the whole DLC thing which frankly is a joke, and also I find Steam's DRM disappointing too. There's just not much to root for. :(

I guess for the most part I can take or leave the games industry these days. Which after years of rabid fanboyism is a bit odd I suppose! :D

Mahngiel
August 12th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Ugh. I grew up in the SNES/NES era when everyone had a freakout when they saw the Nintendo 64's "realism". I'm starting to feel way too old now :(

Doom... Quake 1 and 2.. Jedi Knight 1 + Mysteries of the Sith. Not extremely old, but would be placed in "classic" at least I think. I adored most NES mainstream titles. Asteroids on the Atari 2600 still makes me swoon.

Not overly old, but ever since these games, my gaming life never progressed beyond 2003:

-Quake III Arena

-Jedi Knight 2

-Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (holy crap best online action game whether you like Starwars or not)

We need more games that focus more on fun than on realism + graphics. Modern games have amazing graphics and great realism.. but isn't a video game supposed to be based around fun? :)

You forgot StarFox.

By the way.. why haven't they designed things for modern systems like they did for the NES & SNES? I'm talking about the Track & Field run pad, the Duck Hunt pistol, even there was a big rocket launcher type thing for a game I can't remember. Ya, the Wii has a couple things, but it's nowhere near the same.

gnomeuser
August 12th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I miss IK+ and Super Cars II (now there is a franchise that could use a remake). Superfrog e.g. is probably the single best platform game ever devised..

I miss a lot of games, especially the old 2D handdrawn adventure games, the whole fad of making them 3D just never captured the same magic. Simon the Sorceror II e.g. was a wonderful story and very challenging as well as funny. Monkey Island also suffered this fate, the awesomeness of 3 great games made it a classic and one ruined it all by going 3D and it killed the series (till recently Telltale Games licensed the rights and made episodic sequels).

pookiebear
August 12th, 2010, 07:54 PM
In the 80s, I dreamed about the possibility of games like Doom. :)

All awesome. Have you ever seen Raid Over Moscow?

OH GOD YES! Raid over Moscow and Beach Head were AWESOME! I Forgot about those.

forrestcupp
August 12th, 2010, 10:51 PM
It's not that bad

E.T. is pretty much widely accepted as the worst video game ever made.

alexfish
August 12th, 2010, 11:02 PM
NO

spent hours hypnotised by this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pong.png

Think I've just just come out of the trance { star date 12 aug 2010 }

Cripes !!!

Mahngiel
August 12th, 2010, 11:06 PM

Damn. me too.

ubunterooster
August 13th, 2010, 12:58 AM
But also, look at the magnificence of the (mainly) one guy who designed it with practically no money in only a few weeks

forrestcupp
August 13th, 2010, 01:53 AM
But also, look at the magnificence of the (mainly) one guy who designed it with practically no money in only a few weeks

That is true. I guess it's not really all his fault. It may have been a hit if he would have made it similar to Pac-Man like Spielberg suggested.

August 13th, 2010, 02:35 AM
i still started playing cs 1.6 on ubuntu around 2 weeks ago.

gnomeuser
August 13th, 2010, 07:27 AM

i admit I never played et but I did fread about its epic failure. i bought my generations version once upon a time. Diakatana.. 80 million and several years in development and that ad..

worst game. evar.

Spice Weasel
August 13th, 2010, 07:48 AM
E.T and Diakatana both made me want to gouge my eyes out using an ice cream scoop.

i still started playing cs 1.6 on ubuntu around 2 weeks ago.

Wow.

You did read the thread title, right?

I'm just amazed with what people consider old games. :lolflag:

Tombgeek
August 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM
I'm just amazed with what people consider old games. :lolflag:
Some say that every game before Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is an old game. :lolflag:

And I'm not joking people, someone actually said that to me.

Tombgeek
August 13th, 2010, 09:54 AM
i admit I never played et but I did fread about its epic failure. i bought my generations version once upon a time. Diakatana.. 80 million and several years in development and that ad..

worst game. evar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception

I'm surprised The Da Vinci Code game didn't make the list. It is considered one of the worst games ever created.

Sorry for double post, I forgot to multi-quote.

ctrlmd
August 13th, 2010, 10:05 AM
never ever who would miss the old games when all freaking awesome new games available now days

gnomeuser
August 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
never ever who would miss the old games when all freaking awesome new games available now days

There are some new awesome games but some of us have attachments in the past (also old games are cheap and will run on our machines without requiring the near mandatory 6 month gamer upgrade)

Grenage
August 13th, 2010, 12:31 PM
There are some great modern games; I love games like left for dead. That said, just because a game was made 15-20 years ago, it doesn't mean it's less enjoyable.

cespinal
August 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T-2KzKGdEg

you nostalgia you lose

Spice Weasel
August 13th, 2010, 01:34 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zEge_iWPk

Skip the first minute, it's just an intro.

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7EZgwiOeXA

I know what I'd pick on the gameplay scale.

People judge games too much by their graphics nowadays. I honestly fall asleep while playing CoD.

Splashh
August 13th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I miss Prehistoric a lot, then Caesar 2. Caesar 4 just sucks, hate when good old games are remade in 3d. Waiting for 3D Diablo with horror

handy
August 13th, 2010, 03:28 PM
On the Amiga:

Larn
Fairytale Adventure
F-18 Interceptor
Grand Prix (& sequels)
Descent
Lemmings

Windows:

Doom
Quake
Duke Nukem (& 3D)
Grand Prix 3 & 4
Carmageddon (& the Splat Pack)

They & others all swallowed a lot of my time... :)

forrestcupp
August 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
On the Amiga:

Fairytale Adventure

I played Faery Tale Adventure on the C64. It was a great game, but it took forever to load every time you moved to a new area.

You mentioned Duke Nukem. You can't forget those games. Duke Nukem 3D was revolutionary. It was the first FPS where you could jump, swim, fly, etc. The thing that drove me crazy about Doom was that you couldn't jump. Even when Doom 2 came out after Duke 3D, you still couldn't jump.

babai
August 13th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Miss too many snes games to remember!
on the sega genesis(mega drive):Streets of rage(bare knuckle) 2, sonic 2, comic zone, mk3
neogeo arcade: Entire kof series especially 98, metal slug
on playstation: tony hawk pro skater 4

In those days video games were "Video Games".

ticopelp
August 13th, 2010, 04:46 PM
Funny, but in my mid to late thirties, I find I'm not so bothered about gaming as I used to be.:D

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I gave up most gaming when I moved over to Linux. I bought a PS2 and an XBox years ago and realized that the console wars were going to be damned expensive, so I found other stuff to be interested in. I used to be a huge PC gamer, still have a massive library of titles, but I don't play any of them anymore and largely don't miss it.

kamaboko
August 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Need more be said?

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/marpibeach/th_pong.gif (http://s168.photobucket.com/albums/u166/marpibeach/?action=view&current=pong.gif)

pookiebear
August 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I had the odyssey version. console. with 3 knobs for each player. PONG

pookiebear
August 13th, 2010, 05:56 PM
And double dragon!
best I ever got on double dragon was winning with 3 quarters. Backwards elbow smash FTW.

chriswyatt
August 13th, 2010, 06:29 PM
God, some of those Spectrum games were frustrating. Did anyone ever play Yogi Bear on the Speccy? That has to be one of the most frustrating games ever made.

mips
August 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM
Emulators are the way to ;)

Then you get abandonware which is perfectly legit.
http://www.abandonia.com/
http://www.abandonwarering.com/?Page=Listing a list of abonware sites.

This way you can download and play some golden oldies legally.

murderslastcrow
August 13th, 2010, 11:48 PM
I understand the feeling of nostalgia, but since I can get the games I own on my computer at higher resolutions, sharper, and with the same controller for the console, I don't see the need to play it on the older console. Also, remade games are perfectly fine for me as opposed to the originals. I play the game for what it is, and its design. If it improves, why should I play the older version?

Of course, I still understand the coolness in playing it on the original console, and the sentimental nature of it. Sadly, I play games for fun, not for the memories.

handy
August 14th, 2010, 04:38 AM

Bookmarked. :)

I understand the feeling of nostalgia, but since I can get the games I own on my computer at higher resolutions, sharper, and with the same controller for the console, I don't see the need to play it on the older console. Also, remade games are perfectly fine for me as opposed to the originals. I play the game for what it is, and its design. If it improves, why should I play the older version?

Of course, I still understand the coolness in playing it on the original console, and the sentimental nature of it. Sadly, I play games for fun, not for the memories.

Great graphics & 3D do not insure that the game play will also be great. Some of the old games even with their poor graphics were hugely playable, immersive & sometimes very beautiful artistically as well.

forrestcupp
August 14th, 2010, 04:24 PM

The legality of abandonware is pretty touchy. Some things that are considered abandonware are still protected by copyright, and the owners don't want to give them up even though they aren't still supported. Intellivision games are one example. A few years back, they released their games on CD with an emulator for sale. You can get most of the old console games legally, but not Intellivision.

I think abandonia is pretty good about not providing illegal "abandonware", though.

ctrlmd
August 14th, 2010, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4zEge_iWPk

Skip the first minute, it's just an intro.

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7EZgwiOeXA

I know what I'd pick on the gameplay scale.

People judge games too much by their graphics nowadays. I honestly fall asleep while playing CoD.
really ? you comparing that stoneage game with cod4 ? and it wins ? lol?
k how about comparing it with halo 3 multiplayer ? who would win ?

:lolflag:

ctrlmd
August 14th, 2010, 04:52 PM
There are some new awesome games but some of us have attachments in the past (also old games are cheap and will run on our machines without requiring the near mandatory 6 month gamer upgrade)
you don't have to run them on a pc you could use also console like xbox or ps3

gnomeuser
August 14th, 2010, 05:43 PM
you don't have to run them on a pc you could use also console like xbox or ps3

That would require me to own a console.. and a tv.

Spice Weasel
August 15th, 2010, 12:11 AM
really ? you comparing that stoneage game with cod4 ? and it wins ? lol?
k how about comparing it with halo 3 multiplayer ? who would win ?

:lolflag:

Yeah, I am. There is far much more going on and more gameplay in that video, there isn't a single moment when you're sitting there in Quake 3, whereas in Call of Duty it's a very slow paced game with too much focus on realism. If you want to fight realistically in the army, join the army.

Halo three multiplayer? And get screamed at by eleven year olds on Xbox live? No thank you.

The Quake series STARTED first person shooters and made them popular. If it wasn't for Quake, you wouldn't have your precious Halo. Grow up.

Dustin2128
August 15th, 2010, 12:27 AM
yeah, i am. There is far much more going on and more gameplay in that video, there isn't a single moment when you're sitting there in quake 3, whereas in call of duty it's a very slow paced game with too much focus on realism. If you want to fight realistically in the army, join the army.

Halo three multiplayer? And get screamed at by eleven year olds on xbox live? No thank you.

The quake series started first person shooters and made them popular. If it wasn't for quake, you wouldn't have your precious halo. Grow up.
+∞

handy
August 15th, 2010, 12:55 AM
That would require me to own a console.. and a tv.

I don't own a tv either. :)

I bought a skinny PS3 sometime ago as I always considered the PS3 to be overpriced, but when they knocked $200- off of the price I could justify the purchase as it was like buying a mid-range graphics card but much better value in my case.

It is plugged into my Samsung SyncMaster 2443 via the HDMI port & my No.2. box is plugged into the SVGA port of the monitor, which is smart enough to switch between digital/analogue appropriately according to which device I booted into.

For $450- Oz, the PS3 has saved me from having to buy a new motherboard, CPU & RAM so as to be able purchase & install one of the current crop of slot breed of graphics cards.

This would be a waste of a perfectly good Athlon64 3500+ CPU, 2GB DDR RAM & an AGP XFX 7950GT/512 graphics card.

The PS3 is just so easy to use, & I buy my games 2nd hand from EB Games, so I don't mind occasionally spending up to $35- on a used game. Though I must admit, I picked up Gran Turismo 5 Prologue a while back, & found that my old Logitech USB steering wheel/pedal pack wouldn't work properly on it, so I lashed out & bought the Logitech Driving Force wheel (designed & built particularly for this game) & boy, I just have to say that after playing driving games beginning with Gran Prix on the Amiga, that game is just so much fun, the physics are superb, (it is easier than a version of Colin McRae Rally I had on windows, due to the different styles of racing) & as a bonus, not only does it play extremely well it just so happens to look great, actually a problem I find is that the cars look just too good, they are better than perfect in every detail which makes them look unreal. I can live with that.

Oops, I was off into a rant. I'll stop now. :)

Dustin2128
August 15th, 2010, 01:03 AM
I don't own a tv either. :)

I bought a skinny PS3 sometime ago as I always considered the PS3 to be overpriced, but when they knocked $200- off of the price I could justify the purchase as it was like buying a mid-range graphics card but much better value in my case.

It is plugged into my Samsung SyncMaster 2443 via the HDMI port & my No.2. box is plugged into the SVGA port of the monitor, which is smart enough to switch between digital/analogue appropriately according to which device I booted into.

For $450- Oz, the PS3 has saved me from having to buy a new motherboard, CPU & RAM so as to be able purchase & install one of the current crop of slot breed of graphics cards.

This would be a waste of a perfectly good Athlon64 3500+ CPU, 2GB DDR RAM & an AGP XFX 7950GT/512 graphics card.

The PS3 is just so easy to use, & I buy my games 2nd hand from EB Games, so I don't mind occasionally spending up to $35- on a used game. Though I must admit, I picked up Gran Turismo 5 Prologue a while back, & found that my old Logitech USB steering wheel/pedal pack wouldn't work properly on it, so I lashed out & bought the Logitech Driving Force wheel (designed & built particularly for this game) & boy, I just have to say that after playing driving games beginning with Gran Prix on the Amiga, that game is just so much fun, the physics are superb, (it is easier than a version of Colin McRae Rally I had on windows, due to the different styles of racing) & as a bonus, not only does it play extremely well it just so happens to look great, actually a problem I find is that the cars look just too good, they are better than perfect in every detail which makes them look unreal. I can live with that.

Oops, I was off into a rant. I'll stop now. :)
That's one of the reasons why I'm predominantly a console gamer. No matter what, as long as its made for your platform, you will be able to play the latest games for years after your purchase.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Oh, I so do miss Zelda Ocarina of Time. The heavy knots in the plot, plus the nearly un-imagineable scaryness of the monsters made the game so epic. I wish the new Zelda games were able to live up to that reputation. :frown: ( I must admit, I never did finish it, but still)

magmon
August 15th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Mario. There, I said it. The new games suck for many reasons. The most predominat of these being the multiplayer aspect. My friend once hit an item box, stole all the power ups, and proceeded to run into lava. That's a level loss right there.

I_Want_To_Learn
August 15th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Well I'm a kid since I only started playing video games seriously from PSOne on.

I miss the challenge you get in old games. It's too dam easy to beat every modern vg IMO. I miss the days where it would take me a couple of days to finally beat a tough boss. In the current gen, you'll get a good challenge only if playing online but then you'll get cheaters, glitchers that can ruin the enjoyment of the game.

Oh well....

magmon
August 15th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Well I'm a kid since I only started playing video games seriously from PSOne on.

I miss the challenge you get in old games. It's too dam easy to beat every modern vg IMO. I miss the days where it would take me a couple of days to finally beat a tough boss. In the current gen, you'll get a good challenge only if playing online but then you'll get cheaters, glitchers that can ruin the enjoyment of the game.

Oh well....

I know what you mean. I never finished Sonic The Hedgehog 3 or Earthworm Jim due to their overkill difficulty.

Austin25
August 15th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I know what you mean. I never finished Sonic The Hedgehog 3 or Earthworm Jim due to their overkill difficulty. I know, that's what made them great!

mips
August 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM
I know what you mean. I never finished Sonic The Hedgehog 3 or Earthworm Jim due to their overkill difficulty.

Ghosts & Goblins is also a tough game. Trying it again now and I can't even get past stage 1 :grin:

auroraa9420
August 15th, 2010, 05:50 PM
half-life

just love the game and 2 bad that no one wishes to play it anymore :S

i whanted to buy the steam version so i can enjoy with the rest of the 50 players :S

setti isnt bad ether :D

my fav server was Rocket crowbar and i remember playing before school and i was the bomb :D

blueturtl
August 15th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Where did the games go? I still have all the games... just... nobody wants to play with me. :cry:

In all seriousness, I realized that most of the nostalgia comes from memories of shared fun. The games are as good as ever, but few people who had time to play when they were new have the time now. New players can't enjoy anything that doesn't have "pixel shaders" in it. :D

forrestcupp
August 15th, 2010, 11:41 PM
The Quake series STARTED first person shooters and made them popular. If it wasn't for Quake, you wouldn't have your precious Halo. Grow up.Quake didn't start FPSs, but it did help make them popular. The original Unreal was around that same time, and it helped a lot. But there were plenty of FPSs before Quake. I think Wolfenstein, Doom, and Duke Nukem 3D are the main ones that really kicked them off.

Quake was beautiful, though. It was the first one I ever saw with moving clouds.

Oh, I so do miss Zelda Ocarina of Time. The heavy knots in the plot, plus the nearly un-imagineable scaryness of the monsters made the game so epic. I wish the new Zelda games were able to live up to that reputation. :frown: ( I must admit, I never did finish it, but still)

I kind of thought Twilight Princess was about as good as OoT. You should buy the new 3DS that's coming out. They're going to port Ocarina of Time to it. It'll look sweet in 3D.

topCturV
August 16th, 2010, 02:15 AM
A popular game on college computers at the time was a text-only role playing game called "Adventure". The computer would print out a textual description of your surroundings, and you would respond by typing in a command telling what your character should do, e.g. "go west" or "pick up bird".

The above was a description of the first game I played on a computer.
Actually there were a few of us that really got into this.
I think most of us are dead now!!!!:guitar::lolflag:

cra1g321
August 16th, 2010, 11:08 PM
i brung my super nintendo down from the attic today. I usually only bring it down once a year just to remember the classics and incase anything would happen to it.
Still works as good as the day it was bought and so do the games. If i want to play a snes game the odd time i use a emulator instead.
the games are -

Super Metroid - really good game
Super mario all-stars - One of the greatest, load of mario games all on 1 cartridge :D
super mario kart - one of the greatest games ever too
On the ball - some puzzle game that i never really played

Any1 else a SNES fan ???

Cant beat the classics :p

chriswyatt
August 17th, 2010, 10:40 AM
I started playing Virtual Boy Wario Land, seems good so far, though Virtual Boy emulators aren't fantastic and it froze partway through level 2. :(

Always liked the Wario Land series though, but I haven't played any after I, II and III on the Gameboy.

forrestcupp
August 17th, 2010, 12:17 PM
I started playing Virtual Boy Wario Land, seems good so far, though Virtual Boy emulators aren't fantastic and it froze partway through level 2. :(

They actually have Virtual Boy emulators? It seems like you would lose all of the quirky effect and be left with nothing but a monochrome pile of crap. :)

Dustin2128
August 17th, 2010, 12:19 PM
I kind of thought Twilight Princess was about as good as OoT. You should buy the new 3DS that's coming out. They're going to port Ocarina of Time to it. It'll look sweet in 3D.
I agree, TP is about as good as OoT, but I'll always like majora's mask a bit more, that was one awesome game. Still can't wait for skyward sword. As for OoT, I have the original for my 64, but I can't imagine it's going to look that much better on a DS, the gpu power is about the same and I think that OoT deserves to be played on my 52" plasma screen instead of a 4"x4" DS. Besides, wasn't most of the hype because it was the first zelda in 3D anyway? ;)

And I agree, what's the point of Vboy emulators? It wasn't the games, it was the system :).

forrestcupp
August 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
but I can't imagine it's going to look that much better on a DS, the gpu power is about the same and I think that OoT deserves to be played on my 52" plasma screen instead of a 4"x4" DS.

Well, you're right about the 52" plasma, but I was talking about the new 3ds that isn't even out yet. It's probably going to be more powerful than the Wii and it has a parallax barrier screen to get "real" 3D without glasses. It will also have an analog stick to make playing easier. It's not a 52" screen, but it will be pretty awesome. The previews I've seen look like it's going to have better graphics than the Wii.

gemmakaru
August 17th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I miss Road Rash II on the megadrive and duke nukem 3d. That was a game which got me into fps games up until just a couple of years ago. I never did find a game which pulled me along wanting to see the next room. A couple came close, like Deus Ex and Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. I miss those too.

Now I stick to driving games on the PS3.

Spice Weasel
August 17th, 2010, 04:56 PM
I miss Road Rash II on the megadrive and duke nukem 3d. That was a game which got me into fps games up until just a couple of years ago. I never did find a game which pulled me along wanting to see the next room. A couple came close, like Deus Ex and Vampire the masquerade: Bloodlines. I miss those too.

Now I stick to driving games on the PS3.

Have you tried EDuke32 with Polymer and High Detail Pack on multiplayer? It's awesome! :D

Dustin2128
August 17th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Well, you're right about the 52" plasma, but I was talking about the new 3ds that isn't even out yet. It's probably going to be more powerful than the Wii and it has a parallax barrier screen to get "real" 3D without glasses. It will also have an analog stick to make playing easier. It's not a 52" screen, but it will be pretty awesome. The previews I've seen look like it's going to have better graphics than the Wii.
If nintendo intends to make handhelds with superior graphics to their consoles, they really need to get their priorities straight. Gamecube graphical quality though, I could see that.

chriswyatt
August 17th, 2010, 10:34 PM
They actually have Virtual Boy emulators? It seems like you would lose all of the quirky effect and be left with nothing but a monochrome pile of crap. :)

I wouldn't really care too much for the 3D anyway. I think it might be possible to make it work with 3D glasses (the old colour seperating ones), I saw some good quality 3D glasses in a shop in town (colour, not polarity seperating) so I might pick 'em up and give the 3D a go.

Austin25
August 17th, 2010, 11:20 PM
And Quake.

Khakilang
August 18th, 2010, 05:02 AM
Leisure suit Larry in the DOS box. Its about a guy accidentally got into cloak and dagger kinda stuff. Other games like Dongkey Kong, Pac man, Dune and soon to be Warcraft.