PDA

View Full Version : What In The World Should We Call This Thing?

devondashla
August 10th, 2010, 07:54 AM
http://www.sevenwind.com/wp-content/uploads/Windows-Key-722215.jpg

This thing. Right here.

What do 'we' generally refer to it as?

I'm used to calling it Super, and obviously Non-Linux users call it the Windows Key, and I found that basis simple enough. But then I hear people calling it meta, (which I thought has been extinct since keyboards were all still yellow) and I wonder why in the world don't we settle on one name for it?

devondashla
August 10th, 2010, 08:02 AM
That's a Windows Key... hmmm... come to think of it.. what if a linux distro is installed on a laptop? so what do we call that key?

In that situation, I assume Super. But the reason for my original post is to point out how people refer to it, when really there shouldn't be such confusion.

Perfect Storm
August 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Spammer terminated.

Nothing to see. Please carry on.

Austin25
August 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I like "Super Key," although I'm tired of them being branded with the Windows logo. I want tux on them!

Legendary_Bibo
August 10th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Scrambles...the death dealer.

:D I just got done watching metalocalypse.

TheNerdAL
August 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Spammer terminated.

Nothing to see. Please carry on.

Way to go Iron Man! :popcorn:

YuiDaoren
August 10th, 2010, 09:17 AM
"thingie key" or "YAMK" (Yet Another Modifier Key)

I used to call them super keys, but their little egos swell up.

BlazeFire247
August 10th, 2010, 09:19 AM
Do most Linux users call it "Super key"? I don't really see why a Linux user thinks the Windows flag is super.

I'm kidding. But, yeah, I call it the Super key. I got used to it when I read stuff about pressing it in certain commands.

aeiah
August 10th, 2010, 09:57 AM
ubuntu officially calls it super, i believe.

my netbook that came with linux has a home symbol on it instead of a windows flag. id probably call it the home button, except i dont actually use it in any keyboard shortcuts.

meta key doesn't really make sense. its not a key of keys, its a modifier key.