PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] terminal size

007casper
August 10th, 2010, 06:26 AM
when I use the terminal, if the path of the file is long, the terminal starts to write the text on top of each other without making any break/carriage.

How can I change the terminal size? I went full screen it didnt help at all. Is there direct correlation with the server monitor size set up and the terminal size?

thank you

Clever_Username
August 10th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Click on "terminal" at the top and you should be able to change the settings from there. If the menu bar isn't there, right click in an open area of the terminal, and you'll see a setting for "show menu bar".
Hope this helps

007casper
August 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
thanks. I am actually over at putty.

I went to Putty configuration and click on window. I have set columns 150 rows 40... it still has the same issue. I have putty release .60

if I can get rid of this issue, it will be so awesome, so I can see what I am typing.

pzico
August 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Could you try:
export PS1="\n\[\e[0;36m\]$ \W> \[\e[m\]"

On bash the readline can easily lose track of the column position. I don't recommend that as default prompt, but it might solve your problems.

007casper
August 12th, 2010, 02:08 AM
thank you... thank you ~
I just tried that on a different server. I think it might work... I am definitely going to try this when the text goes up on each other again.

why wouldnt you try it as default?

sandyd
August 12th, 2010, 02:51 AM
thank you... thank you ~
I just tried that on a different server. I think it might work... I am definitely going to try this when the text goes up on each other again.

If you want to try it as default, stick it into ~/.bashrc

pzico
August 12th, 2010, 12:34 PM
thank you... thank you ~

Because some purist will come and kill me for using Windows/DOS style ">" as the last character in prompt instead of "$". :-$

However, I believe the issue you have is more about control characters, please modify given PS for your taste :popcorn:

007casper
August 14th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thats funny.

It works like a charm.

Thank you so much. ~:)