PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to install Ubuntu

vvsiva007
August 10th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I tried to install Ubuntu 10.04 on Dell Studio laptop which has Vista Home Premium installed already. However, I am getting error when using wubi or ubuntu cd/dvd or usb stick. The final message that I am getting is:

Init: Disconnected from System Bus

I will be glad if someone can help me in installation. Thanks

Ginsu543
August 10th, 2010, 03:53 AM
Before you tried to install Ubuntu, were you able to run a live session off the LiveCD (i.e., try it out without actually installing the OS)?

garvinrick4
August 10th, 2010, 08:13 AM
Sorry you have not got a lot of replys. You will be better off asking this question in the Dell section. Dell has a hidden recovery and also uses proprietary drivers. They just kind of bastardize Windows to fit there own needs to keep a audience that can only use there own support system. I know of course Ubuntu will work because my brother has a dell and it accepts Ubuntu after a few tweaks. So do not give up, just try a forum with Dell and Linux users.
But did it work in Live CD mode as asked in post #2.

Ginsu543
August 10th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Granted they're not exactly the same, but as you might notice in my siggy, I have both a Dell Mini 9 and a Dell Vostro A90 working great on Ubuntu 9.04. With a few tweaks, everything works as it should, including all the function keys. And it's so much faster than Windows. So it is possible.

vvsiva007
August 10th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Yes. The Live CD works but the os is not getting installed. Also, I was able to install Ubuntu 9.04 about a year back. and able to use it. However, recently when I logged in Windows Vista, it ran the windows memory diagnostic tool after which, I was unable to run Ubuntu, that is when I decided to re-install Ubuntu with 10.04 and started all these problems. So far I tried many different ways to install Ubuntu since 3 months, but could not.

I can not ask DELL probably because they support only the OS that they gave to me along with the laptop - Vista. Any help will be appreciated. I bought this laptop through Samsclub and their support department connected me to DELL and DELL rep said he can not help with Ubuntu issues.

corrytonapple
August 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Dell should be providing support for your Dell product. I do not work there but I know that Dell sells computers with Ubuntu on them. Anyway, have you tried the Alternate Install CD?