View Full Version : [ubuntu] Two audio mode? Headphone and speakers

August 10th, 2010, 01:55 AM
Hi everyone,

I recently migrated back to Linux after a 2 year stint with Mac OS X. One feature I liked from the Mac side was that there were 2 audio modes in terms of volume and mute. For example, I can mute my laptop speakers (just press mute), plug in headphones, set volume, and watch a movie. If I accidentlaly unplug the headphones, sound wouldn't come out of the laptop speakers since they are muted.

Was wondering whether this is available in Ubuntu? I wouldn't want to bother the office or the people I'm flying on the plane with.

August 10th, 2010, 02:04 AM
With my headphones plugged in, playing music, I clicked on the speaker icon in my top panel. Clicked on Sound Preferences. Clicked/put a checkmark in the Mute checkbox at the top, by the Output Volume slider. No more sound from my headphones though the music player I was using ( Rhythmbox ) continued to play. Unplugged headphones. No sound from computer's main speakers. No annoyance to those around me. Plugged headphones back in, unchecked the Mute, sound again.

August 10th, 2010, 03:21 PM
yes because everything is muted. I was asking for the case of accidental unplug.