PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question about screencasts/Openshot...

Baldrick_NZ
August 10th, 2010, 12:18 AM
I've been using gtk record my desktop, which does a very good job and records nicely as a .ogv. The problem is, the Openshot editor doesn't appear to support .ogv files, which means I have to find some way of converting the .ovg to something Openshot can use. Having used both Pitivi and Arista to re-encode the file, I find the picture quality suffers some substantial loss by becoming noisy.

So, can anyone suggest:
1/ a way to get Openshot to recognise .ogv files natively? or,
2/ suggest another screencast program that records to a high quality file that Openshot understands? or,
3/ Suggest a video editing program that can open and work with .ogv files, allowing the addition of music and titles (text), and then save to a high quality file like mp4?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers.

labinnsw
August 11th, 2010, 01:22 PM
If you have wine or crossover installed, Format Factory (http://www.formatoz.com/) is an amazing media converter. This could be substituted for your option 2 request.

0004tom
August 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM
You could try other Screencapture apps, like istanbul or xvidcap. But why don't you try converting the .ogv files from recordmydesktop to a format that openshot works with?

There are several convertors, like they are screencapture apps. Just to name a few, mencoder, FFmpeg both CLI apps, but have some gui's also.