PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Non-system disk error

macpow
August 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Hi

I got a HP mini 5102 yesterday and decided that Win7 wasn't doing it for me so I would put ubuntu netbook remix (10.04) on it. Set up a usb stick with the installer (using universal usb creator) and booted from it.

I decided that I would do a full install of ubuntu as I have no need for windows on this machine, hence I left no partition for windows when doing the install. The install went fine but when the machine restarted I was faced with a black screen and the error message "Non-system disk error".

At first I thought that I had messed up the boot order and it was trying to do a network boot as I was getting "PXE-E61: Media Test Failure", so I changed the boot order and fixed that problem but am still getting the non-system disk error.

I figured that I would try and boot from the usb again and see if I could redo the install or just boot from it for the time being but when I tried that I got the non-system disk error again (though, this time if I hit any key when the error message is showing it quickly flashes "geom error" before going back to non-system disk).

Any ideas?

Thanks

macpow
August 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Clunky fix to the problem but I ended installing LTS and NBR side by side and that has fixed the problem. The bootloader seemed to be going to the usb drive when I was trying to install previously, doing LTS and NBR meant that I could make the HDD bootable whereas before I could only make the usb bootable.