PDA

View Full Version : Huge Nerd Question

DirtDawg
February 15th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Hey, I just wondered if anyone out there ever uses Tads or some other "i.f." language (ie Inform ). As I understand this is a massively geeky question, I'm not expecting too many replies. I'm just curious. :-?

"Are we not nerds? N-E-R-D!"

rufius
February 15th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hey, I just wondered if anyone out there ever uses Tads or some other "i.f." language (ie Inform ). As I understand this is a massively geeky question, I'm not expecting too many replies. I'm just curious. :-?

"Are we not nerds? N-E-R-D!"
I've never used either personally but I've had friends that did, but I'm guessing thats not your real question...?

DirtDawg
February 15th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I've never used either personally but I've had friends that did, but I'm guessing thats not your real question...?

lol! Yes, that's actually my real question. I really like using tads, but it's archaic at best. As much as I enjoy writing with tads, however, I've never met another person who even knows what it is. I really just wondered if I was all alone in the world. ....so alone..... :cry:

:D :D :D

gheorghe_pop
February 15th, 2005, 10:03 PM
TADS=Text Adventure Development System.
I played such games along time ago when i was using SinclairZ80 but I never enjoyed them :-D

DirtDawg
February 15th, 2005, 10:05 PM
TADS=Text Adventure Development System.
I played such games along time ago when i was using SinclairZ80 but I never enjoyed them :-D

lol (again)! It's true. They're more fun to write than play.

dataw0lf
February 18th, 2005, 03:10 AM
Although I'm not familiar with tads, I suggest taking a look at the incredible amount of MUD source out there.
dataw0lf

DirtDawg
February 18th, 2005, 05:44 AM
I tried out some muds. They seemed interesting, but are most confusing to program and tutorials and the like are somewhat hard to come by. From what I can tell, you need to actually play the game and build rooms and objects as you go. I also think muds are more complex and difficult to understand and program than single player I.F. If anyone has some suggestions for an "easy" (or at least, easier) mud, or knows of a good tutorial, please share.

Really, they're two different things entirely. I.F (tads) tend to be more puzzle oriented while muds are more RPG oriented (experience points, etc).

I can't help but think a single player mud would be interesting...

dataw0lf
February 18th, 2005, 06:36 AM
There are two main aspects of MUD designing and construction: the actual low-level programming and 'building' which consists of using a design tool a programmer has implemented to allow for easy creation of various 'things' (areas, objects, even races in some cases, etc). MUD codebases are about intermediate in terms of the level of C and Linux knowledge you will need to have to do any serious work on an existing codebase.
dataw0lf

hndrcks
February 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM
I can't help but think a single player mud would be interesting...

Now that would be a SUD, wouldn't it? ;-)

dataw0lf
February 18th, 2005, 07:00 PM
There are numerous single player, text adventures out there. After all, that's what MUDs grew out of.
dataw0lf

RiotNrrd
February 20th, 2005, 11:30 PM
I've messed around with TADS, Inform, Hugo, the Adventure Game Toolkit, Alan, and probably a coupla others. Never wrote a complete game, but it was fun just playing with the languages.

roka
February 21st, 2005, 06:27 AM
never heard about TADS before, but it sounds fun:) i will give it a try

DirtDawg
February 21st, 2005, 09:37 PM
I've messed around with TADS, Inform, Hugo, the Adventure Game Toolkit, Alan, and probably a coupla others. Never wrote a complete game, but it was fun just playing with the languages.

I rarely finish games either :D Still, I have finished a few small ones and, like you, I love to mess around. I like the combination of programming and traditional writing involved. I thought about trying to create a system with Python along the same lines as tads or inform, but I'm not such a hot programmer, so it's tough. Anyways, I'm not sure Python is the best language to use as you can't modify class instance methods. Still, I'm really happy to hear someone else has played with these languages besides me. Yeeeeehaw!