PDA

View Full Version : e-mail, blog, etc.

TriBlox6432
August 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I'm looking for a web host to host my email, blog, and other general crap I decide to upload. Stuff for people to download (like an Ubuntu mirror) etc. I cannot get my own server, so I wanted to just use normal webhosting. what's the best? I want something with great uptime, and everything for cheap.

samalex
August 9th, 2010, 10:34 PM
I'm looking for a web host to host my email, blog, and other general crap I decide to upload. Stuff for people to download (like an Ubuntu mirror) etc. I cannot get my own server, so I wanted to just use normal webhosting. what's the best? I want something with great uptime, and everything for cheap.

Check out http://www.linode.com/. For $20/month you can get a VPS, though the monthly bandwidth is limited. For alittle less you can find one of those 'unlimited' bandwidth virtual hosts, but if you start sucking down bandwidth they'll find some way to charge you more.

Sam

lovinglinux
August 10th, 2010, 04:08 AM
Although I have already used Joomla and Wordpress on a host, I'm recently using Google's Blogger and I'm very happy with it. It's free, easy to edit and provides unlimited bandwidth.

It has a limit of 10 static pages per blog (not posts, which are unlimited), but you can create an unlimited number of blogs in your account.

More info on Blogger limits at http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42348

Blogger also has integration with Picasa Web Albums. You can easily upload or sync your local image folders with Picasa Web using Picasa photo manager, which makes organizing your blog images pretty easy. Picasa has a limit of 1 Gb storage tho.

An Ubuntu mirror is a different story. You will nee lot's of storage space and bandwidth for that.

TriBlox6432
August 12th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I have a question about Google Blogger. If I register my domain through google and have it set up so that my domain takes to my blog on blogger, is it possible to set up email with it as well, such as myname@mydomain.com?

TriBlox6432
August 12th, 2010, 01:06 AM
And also, I was planning on having some stuff (pictures, videos, etc) for people to download. Is this possible with Google Blogger?

Zzl1xndd
August 12th, 2010, 01:12 AM
I have a question about Google Blogger. If I register my domain through google and have it set up so that my domain takes to my blog on blogger, is it possible to set up email with it as well, such as myname@mydomain.com?

This is possible, I do it now.

Not that my blog is very exciting (or gets updated very ofter) but it does work.

Also if you by the Domain through Google you can set up an email account with the domain as well.

TriBlox6432
August 12th, 2010, 01:15 AM
Could you tell me how to set it all up? I know how to set blogger up and everything, but where do I go to register the domain, and from there where do I go to setup email and everything?

linux18
August 12th, 2010, 01:17 AM
if you need bandwith and storage www.mediafire.com (http://www.mediafire.com) is the place to go (unlimited uploads, downloads, and storage), after one week I'm using 3GB and have used 176GB of bandwith (the files are public so anyone can download thus the huge bandwith counter) and its free. Its where I host my ubuntu remixes (see sig)

Zzl1xndd
August 12th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Its been a while but I believe you log into Blogger select settings from the Dashboard > Select Publishing and you will be able to buy your domain through Google. I think it was 10 dollars US for the year.

I'm pretty sure it walks you through setting up email and all the good stuff as well.