PDA

View Full Version : expressing my love for dropbox, keypassx, and xmarks

greenwom
August 9th, 2010, 09:24 PM
I've been loving ubuntu since warty! These two apps have changed how I do things for the last few years.
What I have been loving more lately is the ability to use Dropbox and Xmarks after new installs.

I used to leave a dedicated home partition and not format it to save my settings but I always was one who like a clean slate on installs.

Now these two little beauties have just made installing more of a zen experience.

Dropbox (https://www.dropbox.com/) is your own personal storage cloud.
You get two gigs for free. That's all I seem to need for documents and other home folder nonsense. (All my media is stored on a server)
So launch dropbox at install and all your content is there. It's also a great place to keep your keypassx database!

Keypass is simply a encrypted database with a simple GUI where one can store all of your log-ins and passwords. The database can be synced to your Android phone (via dropbox) and all of your credit card pins and user passwords are at your finger tips.

Finally Xmarks is a firefox extension that also syncs your bookmarks as you save them, edit them, or rearrange them.
On a fresh install, they are simply restored, there as you left them.

These APPS make reinstalls a breeze, they work on your Android phone (minus xmarks for the moment but you can export to dropbox if you needed)

So that's what I've been loving lately. What do you love?

juancarlospaco
August 9th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I dont use Firefox anymore.
I dont write my passwords, yes they are strong.

How do you access to your passwords if no X with these software?

greenwom
August 10th, 2010, 03:18 AM
I never wrote my passwords until about 3 days ago.

Go through all your bookmarks, and all the places you've made your mark on the web....

It's easy to have over 50+ sites with unique usernames and passwords.

I have no idea about accessing the database through the command line. I am sure it can be done, having the database file in my dropbox ensures that I have copies somewhere with X

lovinglinux
August 10th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Firefox 4 will have passwords, bookmaks, history, tabs and preferences sync built-in. Currently this service is provided by Firefox Sync (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10868/) extension, which will become default on Firefox 4.

There is also "Firefox Home (https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/mobile/home/)", that allows to sync with iPhone or iPod Touch.

eumetaxas
August 10th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I use and like all three of them!!!:D
Let me at Chromium to the list:)

greenwom
August 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM
Looking forward to firefox 4.

as far as Chromium, I didn't enjoy last time I tired.
I did like Opera but just found that problems came up.

lovinglinux
August 10th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Looking forward to firefox 4.

as far as Chromium, I didn't enjoy last time I tired.
I did like Opera but just found that problems came up.

Firefox 4 will be awesome. I'm currently using version 4.0b3 and although there are lots of things to be done, I have already made it my default browser.