PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Questions downloading ?

ottodog
August 9th, 2010, 07:48 PM
My Window's 7 Toshiba laptop has a virus that will not allow me to access my antivirus soft ware(oe anything else). I am fed up with Windows anyway and want to try Ubantu. I have questions:

How do I get the infected Windows 7 out of my computer and Ubantu into my system?

For a laptop do I use netbook version?

I am inexperienced at fixing computer troubles so talk to me in simple terms.

Thanks, Ottodog

sikander3786
August 9th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Hi.

If you want to remove the virus, Google it.

If you want to install Ubuntu on the Laptop, just wipe your HDD and put Ubuntu to it. The virus will disappear automatically. Even without wiping off your HDD completely, you can install Ubuntu and the virus will have no impact on Ubuntu as Ubuntu is virus resistant.

And it is Ubuntu not "Ubantu"

Regards.

ottodog
August 9th, 2010, 08:23 PM
How do I wipe my HDD clean?

So you are telling me to download Ubuntu to a CD on another computer and then install on my laptop and the virus will go away?

Do I use netbook version for a laptop?

Sorry about spelling . Thanks for any help

kleskjr
August 9th, 2010, 08:55 PM
yes installing Ubuntu on your windows partition will remove the virus. And you can use the ordinary Ubuntu for a laptop, no need for netbook version.

After you put the CD in your drive, you should boot from the CD. There will be an option live-CD, in this way you can run Ubuntu without installing it (although it is much slower then the installed one) and see if everything works fine for. You can also installed it directly and most probably it will run. I also use Toshiba laptop and had no problems until now.

Good luck with Ubuntu!

linux18
August 9th, 2010, 09:07 PM
yes installing Ubuntu on your windows partition will remove the virus. And you can use the ordinary Ubuntu for a laptop, no need for netbook version.

but the procedure of "removing" the virus will delete windows

kleskjr
August 9th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I am fed up with Windows anyway and want to try Ubantu.

How do I get the infected Windows 7 out of my computer and Ubantu into my system?

I assume that this is what the OP wants?

lisati
August 9th, 2010, 09:15 PM
AVG have a free rescue CD (http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd) that you can download and burn. It's like a LiveCD version of antivirus. And yes, the last time I checked, it was Linux based.