PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 emulator for ubuntu

uberbuntufan64y
August 9th, 2010, 05:11 PM
i am looking for an xbox360 emulator because my xbox just broke. since i payed for the games i was hoping to be able to convert them to my ubuntu tower. nyone successful or know if this can be done? i heard it was done before with other OS....

Åtta
August 9th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Not going to happen anytime soon.

Cilph
August 9th, 2010, 05:40 PM
The X360 has processing power on par with most computers...what are you smoking? Realtime emulators are impossible within this decade

mister_playboy
August 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
We still don't have very good emulation of the last generation PS2 and Xbox... emulators for the current systems are a long way off.

One of the biggest hurdles is the fact that these system don't use x86 processors.

Cilph
August 10th, 2010, 11:15 PM
We still don't have very good emulation of the last generation PS2 and Xbox... emulators for the current systems are a long way off.

One of the biggest hurdles is the fact that these system don't use x86 processors.

Ehh...Every emulated system does not use the x86 processor, that's why it's called emulation. Unlike WINE which just implements the Windows API and DirectX

AveryMaurice
August 11th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Xbox 360 Emulator

Har.

uberbuntufan64y
December 3rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
so, its possible?

thatguruguy
December 3rd, 2010, 06:10 PM
With a regular off-the-shelf PC? No. You state that you "heard it was done before with other OS". Care to provide a link?

uberbuntufan64y
December 3rd, 2010, 07:08 PM
With a regular off-the-shelf PC? No. You state that you "heard it was done before with other OS". Care to provide a link?

well maybe like an alienware or something it could work. when i search google a lot of results come up but i have trouble with the technical specs.

uberbuntufan64y
December 3rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
i cand find the link but i am pretty sure i red it on a site somewhere
;)

mister_playboy
December 3rd, 2010, 08:03 PM
so, its possible?

No, it is not possible.

Barajqial
December 3rd, 2010, 10:38 PM
They do however make all in one custom case machines that Have a 360 alongside the computer in one neat case. Note though the alongside, not combined with though.

TheChuckster
December 18th, 2010, 07:27 PM
A good rule of thumb is that the system running the emulator needs to be ten times faster than the system being emulated. Obviously, we're not there yet, and with the Xbox 360's three cores, the host system either needs at least three separate cores or one single-core super processor that can schedule all three emulated cores in real-time. Quad core processors can handle this, but the clock speed on each core is still way too slow to emulate PowerPC Xenon instructions.

Not only that, Microsoft has everything locked down, and it's way harder to hack than say the Nintendo DS cartridge RSA encryption was back in the 2000's. Do you really think Xbox Live is going to let an emulated system connect to their network? By the time there is an Xbox 360 emulator for PC, Xbox Live will be deprecated (and offline) any how.

irastrouse
December 22nd, 2010, 08:45 AM
ok it was done by hacking the dash os onto a computer with simular hardware,and dualbooted ntfs. that being said the amount of power it pulls is ungodly for it to run under an os at this time.

myromance123
December 22nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
Maybe creating an Xbox 360 emulator that has to run on any given OS is rather impossible at this time, but the possibility of porting the Xbox 360 OS and its functionality to run on AMD and Intel architectures and have the Xbox OS access hardware directly would be possible right?

I'm not talking about how hard that would be, just the possibility of it happening. Reverse Engineering and a whole lot of source code rewriting would need to take place though ( probably a lot more other things as well... )

I would love to see anyone port the Playstation 1 or 2 OS to run on a standard computer nowadays :)

No doubt may not be so usefull as the emulators are already working atm, but who knows. Maybe new things could be learnt~

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Is it possible? Yes.

Is it possible for you or I? No.

Is it time or cost effective? No.

alaukikyo
December 22nd, 2010, 02:12 PM
Is it possible? Yes.

Is it possible for you or I? No.

Is it time or cost effective? No.

It is NOT possible today.

Grenage
December 22nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
It is NOT possible today.

You don't know how to do it, that doesn't mean it's not possible. Even if the x10 power requirements held true, that's not exactly mission impossible.

theo1998
September 11th, 2011, 12:35 AM
It would most likely be POSSIBLE, but not better (or cheaper) than just buying an Xbox 360.

It's easier to run Ubuntu on an Xbox 360: It's already been done! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCZJNFV8nI)

Plus, it would be very hard for an ubuntu emulator since it most likely runs on a windows kernel.

IF you have tons of money and time, you would need:

More than a '3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon' processor (since you would need to run the dash PLUS Ubuntu)

More than 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz.

500 MHz ATI Xenos Video Card

An xbox 360 to port the software

A ton of programming

Months.

Dlambert
September 12th, 2011, 07:10 PM
It would most likely be POSSIBLE, but not better (or cheaper) than just buying an Xbox 360.

It's easier to run Ubuntu on an Xbox 360: It's already been done! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biCZJNFV8nI)

Plus, it would be very hard for an ubuntu emulator since it most likely runs on a windows kernel.

IF you have tons of money and time, you would need:

More than a '3.2 GHz PowerPC Tri-Core Xenon' processor (since you would need to run the dash PLUS Ubuntu)

More than 512 MB of GDDR3 RAM clocked at 700 MHz.

500 MHz ATI Xenos Video Card

An xbox 360 to port the software

A ton of programming

Months.

If not YEARS

nightshadowfx
September 13th, 2011, 12:51 PM
it's going to be at least about 7/8+ years before a "normal" (and I state that loosely) computer will be able to emulate a xbox 360 and that is if somebody or a group of people even want to take the time to to write the script and everything else for the emulator.

aeiah
September 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM
whats the point? you can buy a 2nd hand xbox for less than 2 new games

mikaelcrocker
September 13th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Agreed, it's going to be a while before an Xbox 360 emulator is out. While it's possible, to emulate one would take a great deal of processing power. So if you were to have one, it wouldn't be playable.

I'm sure you can find one used somewhere, or you could just game on your computer, learn to use a mouse and keyboard oppose to two joy sticks and a trigger button :rolleyes:

Kodeine
September 13th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Emulator for current generation consoles - Sometime in distant future for Windows.
Emulator for current generation consoles ported to Mac or Linux - Never.

drawkcab
September 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM
This would be a good time for you to get into retro gaming or, better yet, do something more productive with your time.

thatguruguy
September 14th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Emulator for current generation consoles - Sometime in distant future for Windows.
Emulator for current generation consoles ported to Mac or Linux - Never.

There are already emulators for the PS2 and the Wii that run on Linux. Never is an awfully long time.

Dlambert
September 15th, 2011, 11:25 PM
There are already emulators for the PS2 and the Wii that run on Linux. Never is an awfully long time.

You always make my day....always.