PDA

View Full Version : If you find Ubuntu to be slow ...

TheHimself
August 9th, 2010, 07:59 AM
You should then migrate to XUbuntu. Applications run much faster there.

Also there are some very efficient applications that you can use instead of the standard ones (even standard ones in XUbuntu):

feh for viewing single photos.
gthumb for viewing multiple images.

xpdf instead of evince and acroread. It has all the features of evince but faster and more customizable.

google chrome faster than firefox and makes better use of screen real state.

geany for coding and editing HTML, etc.

cascade9
August 9th, 2010, 08:08 AM
If you find xubuntu to be slow (like I do) then you should use lubuntu, or a minimal install of Xfce, or move distros. There are distros using Xfce slower than xubuntu, and they are also distro using Xfce that are a lot faster than xubuntu.

I really wish that xubuntu was less of gnome clone, and had far less junk installed/running stock, but I doubt that is going to happen.

user1397
August 9th, 2010, 08:24 AM
And if you find lubuntu to be slow...wait I see a pattern emerging here... :popcorn:

Glenn nl
August 9th, 2010, 09:27 AM
If you find xubuntu to be slow (like I do) then you should use lubuntu, or a minimal install of Xfce, or move distros. There are distros using Xfce slower than xubuntu, and they are also distro using Xfce that are a lot faster than xubuntu.

I really wish that xubuntu was less of gnome clone, and had far less junk installed/running stock, but I doubt that is going to happen.

Xubuntu 10.10 is actually ditching Brasero, Totem and gnome system monitor for their xfce counterparts. (xfburn, Parole and xfce4-taskmanager)

vitothegreat
August 9th, 2010, 09:36 AM
I have lubuntu on my old desktop and it's super fast. Haven't tried xfce so I can't compare these two, however, I don't think I'll be switching to any other distro soon as I'm very happy with this one.

Point & Click
August 9th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I guess it all depends on the hardware / how "old" the computer is...

I was given the task of making an old Toshiba laptop work under "Linux", so I tried Lubuntu, Xbuntu, U-Lite, etc... in the end the only thing that worked was a "non-Buntu": Puppy Linux.

It wasn't great, but it did work on a device with a knackered battery, about 192MB RAM (I think) and something that responded like an original 8086 CPU! ;)

TheHimself
August 9th, 2010, 10:52 AM
I've not tried lubuntu. I should give it a shot. Yes, puppy is very fast but doesn't have a big repository. Although I'm talking about puppy 4.3, have not tried the new puppy 5.

The first machine on which I installed Linux (I still have it) was a dell laptop with 1.7 GHz pentium M, 2 GB RAM and 120GB HDD. I remember waiting desperately for a few seconds each time I invoked Nautilus or pressed ctrl+N in Evolution.

murderslastcrow
August 9th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Fluxbox all the way! Heck, with Xcompmgr it can do almost everything Aero can, with less hardware than you need for Windows XP. :D Now there's a distro waiting to happen.

Whoops, #! beat me to the punch (OpenBox, I know, yadda yadda).

I went straight from Kubuntu to Xubuntu with Compiz a few days back. Quite satisfied, except for Gnome's self-important applications trying to steal the limelight from Xfce4's settings dialogs. Some tiny issues when you start customizing, but altogether a great lightweight experience.

And now I have plenty of time to continually question my choice of computer (Dual Core with 3 GB of RAM and a high-end NVIDIA card).

NCLI
August 9th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Fluxbox all the way! Heck, with Xcompmgr it can do almost everything Aero can, with less hardware than you need for Windows XP. :D Now there's a distro waiting to happen.

Whoops, #! beat me to the punch (OpenBox, I know, yadda yadda).

I went straight from Kubuntu to Xubuntu with Compiz a few days back. Quite satisfied, except for Gnome's self-important applications trying to steal the limelight from Xfce4's settings dialogs. Some tiny issues when you start customizing, but altogether a great lightweight experience.

And now I have plenty of time to continually question my choice of computer (Dual Core with 3 GB of RAM and a high-end NVIDIA card).
And if you find Fluxbox to be slow, you can jut run pure X :p

ronnielsen1
August 9th, 2010, 12:27 PM
and if you find lubuntu to be slow...wait i see a pattern emerging here

:d

XubuRoxMySox
August 9th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Xubuntu rawks on my old hand-me-down Dell Dimension with it's paltry little 512 RAM. Except that an update completely b0rked my video, putting the monitor to sleep on boot-up. And nothing I did on the mouse or keyboard would "wake up" the monitor. So I had to do a whole 'nother fresh installation and accept only security updates to get it back and working again. Grrrr.

I always remove most of the Gnome cruft and put lighter weight stuff in it's place anyway and it's alot snappier. I think I'll be sticking with LTS versions from now on though. Just because I'm not ready to buy a new 'puter yet.

-Robin

TBABill
August 9th, 2010, 01:13 PM
And if you find all the above slow, just go to any version of Windows for a reality check reference for what slow really is. Make sure it has plenty of updates, a few malware items running, some spyware, a virus or trojan and plenty of added on bloat. Any distro would seem fast in that regard :)

RiceMonster
August 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM

X is bloated. Try bash.

K.Mandla
August 9th, 2010, 02:00 PM
I guess it all depends on ... how "old" the computer is...
+1.

+1.

X is bloated. Try bash.
+1.

And if you find all the above slow, just go to any version of Windows for a reality check reference for what slow really is. Make sure it has plenty of updates, a few malware items running, some spyware, a virus or trojan and plenty of added on bloat. Any distro would seem fast in that regard :)
+1.

At this rate, I might run out of +1's. :D

ubunterooster
August 9th, 2010, 02:30 PM
+1.

+1.

+1.

+1.

At this rate, I might run out of +1's. :D
+1, really.

If you find bash slow, upgrade to the $35 India tablet.

Zorgoth
August 9th, 2010, 02:34 PM
If you find lubuntu to be slow, Control-Alt-F1 > login > "screen".

spoons
August 9th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Must be all those feature-complete drivers, consuming precious CPU cycles. ;):p