PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Won't Boot (Dual Boot)

xTLx
August 9th, 2010, 06:52 AM
(This was posted by me on geekpolice.net on Aug 04 2010 8:39PM)

Hey there, maybe you could help me with my problem booting Ubuntu since I'm completely new to the OS. I'm trying to dual-boot Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) and Ububtu:

I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04 desktop edition (64-bit) onto my laptop and copied the image onto a DVD-RW. After completing the install I attempted to boot my computer using the LiveCD. It failed to boot so I installed the boot-helper provided by the OS. I removed the CD from the disk drive and fortunately it started with the correct menu allowing me to boot using Ubuntu. After selecting it however it said that Ubuntu was finishing installing and then the screen went blank. Right now my laptop is connected to a separate monitor using a VGA cable. When the screen went blank the monitor went to "No Signal," before going blank. The light on my optical mouse also went off(it didn't respond)and my laptops fan began going rapidly.

I waited several minutes before shutting my laptop off and trying again, but under any boot mode I still got the same result. Help?

*edit* 8/08/10

I have now also tried the correct process of installing using Ubuntu 10.04 (32bit) and Linux Mint (64bit) with same results. I am also unable to boot using any other modes.

garvinrick4
August 9th, 2010, 07:08 AM
What boots now? Windows and nothing else? You Burned the CD's not copied correct?

xTLx
August 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Yeah I burned them... Right now I can only boot windows 7 (I uninstalled the other OS) although it gave me the option to boot Ubuntu (previously).

garvinrick4
August 9th, 2010, 07:25 AM
If the disk will not work when you choose "try ubuntu" as Live Cd then it has a high probability of being a bad burn.

Burn a new cd at the slowest speed possible, mine is like 3x. Always works.

Given you do not have a load of proprietary drivers in your machine. Like fancy graphic's
cards and such. Or this is a WUBI install inside of Windows? The way you said uninstall does sound like maybe Wubi install.

xTLx
August 9th, 2010, 07:37 AM
I'm completely sure it's not a bad burn as Ive burned it multiple times (even with another OS, Linux Mint)... I have tried installing with wubi as well as with the other install option, both with the same result.

Currently I'm using a Toshiba satellite A505-S6033 with 4GB ram and an Intel i7 processor... I'm also pretty sure the graphics are integrated with the processor if that helps.

garvinrick4
August 9th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Go to hardware forum and ask if anyone having trouble with the new Intel i7 and installing
or even using Ubuntu as live CD. If disk is good has got to be hardware and driver problem! Check it out.