PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade corrupted program

Camilia
August 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM
I have windows and ubuntu os. When I log in I choose ubuntu. Then have another row of options. When I choose the top program 2.6.31-22 I am unable to log in. Tried the restore option for the same program and it didn't work either. Thus I choose the second program. 2.6.31-14. How do I delete the top option that does not work.

Rubi1200
August 9th, 2010, 01:18 AM
Have you tried

sudo update-grub

from the terminal?

Then reboot and see if you still have the same issue.

You are talking about the kernel versions in the GRUB menu. But, the "top" one is the latest and should work unless there is some issue.

As I said, try the command first and let us know what happens before we take the next step of trying to diagnose why you are unable to boot the latest kernel version on your system.

Camilia
August 9th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Pasted sudo update in terminal and got:
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-22-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-22-generic
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic
Found Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition on /dev/sda1
Found Windows NT/2000/XP on /dev/sda2

Still no change.
Message is:
Kernel panic no syncing Unable to mount root fs on unknown_block (8,1)
This is the one - /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic - that I boot up with.

JBAlaska
August 9th, 2010, 04:30 AM
You may be able to easily fix your 2.6.31-22 (First entry) Wubi install, Follow this Link (http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bootinfoscript/index.php?title=Boot_Problems:Wubi_9.10)

Camilia
August 9th, 2010, 05:07 AM
Very interesting Watson. Tis exactly what is happening. I shall try that later, for it is only 12 am.

Well I copied and pasted the program into the c drive and all is okay. Now I know why in the past I had to reload ubuntu.

Thanks a bunch.

Well again do upgrade and to log into ubuntu have scroll down to go to program initially downloaded in windows. Get message need to load kernel.

Tried the previous suggestion and no change.
Anybody got any suggestions?